Maxprop

Default Easy And Nice Finish

"Ken Moon" wrote in message

"Maxprop" wrote in message

I really don't know much about lacquers, beyond using them on our cars

back
in the Sixties. Do they have inherent UV resistance? Can successive

coats
be applied without sanding? Anything you can tell me would be

appreciated.
**********************************
Lacquer, if shot from a spray gun, is usually thinned down from it's "in

the
can" consistency, so it results in a very thin layer. On auto

applications,
you can shoot 2-3 coats, then block sand with 600-800 wet/dry to level
imperfections, the repeat until you have the desired effect. It's not
required as far as adhesion is concerned, because each coat disolves into
the previous layer. As far as UV, you can add inhibitors to clear. Most of
the larger book stores have custom auto painting books, and they have

really
good sections on how to use all the different types of film type finishes,
lacquers, enamels, epoxies, catalyzed, acrylics, etc. A good investment
IMHO.

Thanks to you, too, Ken. Your post recalls some lacquer paintwork we did on
my cousin's Austin Healey 3000 quite a few years back. We generally made
the surface smooth and imperfection-free with primer (from 6-9 coats, with
800 wet sanding between), then shot four coats of colored lacquer followed
by 4 more coats of clear. We rubbed out the colored coats, but not the
clear. Not sure if the clear had UV-inhibitors, but the paint is still on
the car and it looks great today.

Max