Maxprop

Default Easy And Nice Finish

"AHilton" wrote in message

"Do they have inherent UV resistance?"

As compared to what? To nothing at all, then yes. Lacquers with pigments
have more of a UV resistance and then you can buy lacquers with actual UV
protectants in them. Don't expect miracles though. It's not going to

save
your Purpleheart, Osage Orange, or Padauk from going dark/brown but it'll
slow it down to varying degrees.

"Can successive coats be applied without sanding?"

Absolutely. That's one of the nice things about lacquer. It binds to
itself chemically and doesn't need that rough surface in order to bind.
That's why it levels (bumps, grooves, brush marks, etc.) itself so well as
compared to the polyurethanes. There's really no layers of coating. They
all become one.

The sanding I was referring to in my previous post wasn't to help in

binding
each coat to the last. It's just to give a deeper, higher gloss shine.

Being a sailor and 'mechanically-bonded' to varnish myself, I haven't had
any experience with lacquers. Thanks for the info. Sounds like interesting
stuff, and something I'll spend some time with.

Max