Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default TIre tools follow up

On Tuesday, March 10, 2015 at 8:47:05 AM UTC-4, wrote:

I am serious, but do not have any space to set up a regular tire machine. I can manage with what I have, but would like some tools that would make it easier, but not take up a lot of space.

Dan

I bought a Harbor Freight manual tire changer. Currently on sale for $40 so with a 20% off coupon it was $32. It would be hard to make one for less if you count your time as worth anything.

I tried adding some wood to the base, but you really need a big heavy base. But I have a support in the basement that has a plate that will accomodate a vise or a reloading tool. So unbolted that from the floor and then made an adapter plate that bolts to the same threaded holes in the concrete and the tire changer bolts to it.

The Harbor Freight changer has a bead breaker built in and I think it will be okay for home use. It is built out of fairly thin tubing and I would not recommend it for commercial use. But the design seems to be okay and good for home use. I have a welder and can make beefier replacement parts if needed.

Dan