Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default TIre tools

Today my wife called and said she had a flat on her car. Well at least the weather was not bad. So I went to her and put on the spare dinky tire and then followed her home. She had run into a pothole that was filled with water and it had ruptured a spot on the sidewall.

So the logical thing to do would be to go to a tire store and get a new tire mounted. But the last time my wife bought tires she brought home two of the old tires. And they were actually in good condition. Do not know why she had gotten new tires, or for that matter why she brought two of the old tires home.

So I took the damaged tire off the rim. I used to have a bead breaker, but that was one of the tools that did not make it across the country. Harbor Freight has them on sale for $50. Such a deal. So I used a hydraulic jack working against the trailer hitch to break the bead. Not the best tool, but the tire was already junk.

So does anyone have a better idea for a bead breaker? I am thinking of beating a lawn mover blade into some sort of shape with some bits welded on that I can use with a hydraulic jack . The bead breaker that I had took too much room to store. And it is not like I used it very often.

After the beads were broken I used large screw drivers to get the tire off the rim. Here again there must be a better tool. But still a tool that does not take a lot of room to store. Any ideas? Large screw drives are a bunch of work.

And after mounting the new old tire, there was the problem of getting the beads to seal. Several years ago, I watched a guy changing a truck tire. He had a service truck equipped to service large trucks. But he could not get the new tire to seat on the rim. Finally he borrowed some starter fluid and sprayed into the tire. Then stood back and threw a match at the tire. Big poof and it was seated.

Me, I made a little tool instead. I connected a air quick disconnect to a 3/8 ball valve and then to a tire air chuck. I then removed the little bit that acts to seal the air chuck when not being used. With the tire valve core removed, I held the air chuck on the tire valve and opened the ball valve. And that worked. So I did not have to use starter fluid.

So what do you people use for tires. Inquiring minds want to know. I am sure most of you use the tire store, but some of you must live in the boon docks .

Oh yes, I used some spray vegetable oil on the tire bead and wheel rim. Like PAM, but the cheap stuff from Walmart. Handy to have around. I use it for anti spatter when welding and for general lubrication where I am not concerned about it getting gummy. Also for snow shovels to keep snow from sticking.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 9 Mar 2015 18:01:59 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

[...]

I do pretty much as you do. Shrug Ive got a forklift to break beads
with. That being said..2 of the 3 tire shops here in the small town I
live in, are owned by friends of mine and I do the odd repair for
them now and again. Service air compressors, change the oil every so
often, fix the odd electrical issue. So having tires changed doesnt
ever cost me anything , nor does the occasional good used tire...and I
keep a couple spare tires on rims, inflated ..for each vehicle I own.
But I have the space...shrug

Gunner

PJ O'Rourke
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I'm lucky, I scored a Coates tire machine at auction.

My son did OK, he scored an old manual tire changer for scrap iron
price. You could build one of these in a day. its basically a small
round table with a post in the middle. nut and collar to tighten tire
in place.

The bead breaker slides on the post, has a piece to push on the tire,
then about six foot of pipe for leverage. Just put it on and pull
down. Flip tire, repeat.

Then he has a couple four foot long spoons. Put tongue under bead,
rotate vertically 180, and against post. walk around once - bead is
off. Then there's a funny shape spoon to put bead back down, hooks
over rim, angles on the outside to help bead slide down.

if you are super serious, get your email to me. I'll ask the kid to
send a couple pics. I'll BET a google search would turn up even better
info here.

Karl

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

yep, google manual tire changer plans
https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...id=3424 16800

more than you ever wanted to know
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
[...]

I learned manual tire-changing on split rim truck tires in the Army.
They insisted that the only proper lubricant was soap because oils
could weaken the rubber.

I take road vehicle wheels that need to be spin-balanced to the store
but change smaller tires myself on the Harbor Freight mini changer,
which turns an impossible task into a merely miserable one.

In addition I use a pair of their older two-foot tire irons, two
shorter and handier ones meant for motorcycles, and large C clamps to
help break the bead.

The one time I took a glued-on 23" garden tractor tire to supposedly
the best local dealer they gouged the bead so badly it wouldn't seal.

-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tuesday, March 10, 2015 at 6:12:35 AM UTC-4, Karl Townsend wrote:

if you are super serious, get your email to me. I'll ask the kid to
send a couple pics. I'll BET a google search would turn up even better
info here.

Karl

I am serious, but do not have any space to set up a regular tire machine. I can manage with what I have, but would like some tools that would make it easier, but not take up a lot of space.

I did a search and found lots of stuff,but most of it takes a good deal of storage space and needs bolting to the floor.

Now if I just had you as a neighbor.

Dan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tuesday, March 10, 2015 at 8:08:46 AM UTC-4, Jim Wilkins wrote:

I learned manual tire-changing on split rim truck tires in the Army.
They insisted that the only proper lubricant was soap because oils
could weaken the rubber.

I think vegetable oil is okay. Best check on that. I just wipe the rim and tire bead with a paper towel with some vegetable oil on it. I had some genuine rubber lube, but that is another thing that did not make it across country.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tuesday, March 10, 2015 at 8:53:14 AM UTC-4, wrote:

I think vegetable oil is okay. Best check on that. I just wipe the rim and tire bead with a paper towel with some vegetable oil on it. I had some genuine rubber lube, but that is another thing that did not make it across country.

Dan

From the Michelin truck tire site.

http://www.michelintruck.com/assets/...ruck_Tires.pdf

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Yeah, the canola oil from Dollar Tree helped me put the new tube in my
wheelbarrow tire.

I do pretty much as you do. Shrug Ive got a forklift to break beads
with. That being said..2 of the 3 tire shops here in the small town I
live in, are owned by friends of mine and I do the odd repair for
them now and again. Service air compressors, change the oil every so
often, fix the odd electrical issue. So having tires changed doesnt
ever cost me anything , nor does the occasional good used tire...and I
keep a couple spare tires on rims, inflated ..for each vehicle I own.
But I have the space...shrug

And I thank you for letting me make more space for you. g

--
Stoop and you'll be stepped on;
stand tall and you'll be shot at.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Keep in mind that vegetable oils oxidize; first they go rancid; then
they get sticky; and then they get hard. Linseed oil is an extreme
example.

They eventually can become pretty good glue.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 10 Mar 2015 08:09:20 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

See below.

After the beads were broken I used large screw drivers to get the tire
off the rim. Here again there must be a better tool. But still a
tool that does not take a lot of room to store. Any ideas? Large
screw drives are a bunch of work.

Heat to cherry red and flatten out a 1+ inch diameter bar of
steel/iron to make a spoon with a rounded edge. They're much easier
on the bead.

And after mounting the new old tire, there was the problem of getting
the beads to seal. Several years ago, I watched a guy changing a
truck tire. He had a service truck equipped to service large trucks.
But he could not get the new tire to seat on the rim. Finally he
borrowed some starter fluid and sprayed into the tire. Then stood
back and threw a match at the tire. Big poof and it was seated.

I've seen pictures of people who used a bit too many hydrocarbons to
do that. It looks like the guys who had a split rim truck wheel come
apart. What a mess. I strongly recommend against that method.

[...]

Tire rubbers are impervious to most oils, but that's not true for
other rubbers, especially cheap o-rings. They'll swell like hell if
you try to grease 'em with oil or petrolatum.

I take road vehicle wheels that need to be spin-balanced to the store
but change smaller tires myself on the Harbor Freight mini changer,
which turns an impossible task into a merely miserable one.

Yes, they do work well.

In addition I use a pair of their older two-foot tire irons, two
shorter and handier ones meant for motorcycles, and large C clamps to
help break the bead.

A 3# sledge and 12" tubafore work for that, too. Spray with soapy
water, then start hitting it. As you move it, the soap gets into the
rest of the bead and helps slide it off.

The one time I took a glued-on 23" garden tractor tire to supposedly
the best local dealer they gouged the bead so badly it wouldn't seal.

The moron probably did it dry.

We had a nice Hunter balancer and tire machine at Flynn's, to
complement the Hunter 111A 4-wheel alignment machine I used. Next to
the tire machine was a 1gal bucket filled with soapy water and a mop
to run around the bead of the rim and tire prior to sealing. There
was also an inflatable band which went around the tire to make the
beads touch for easier seating. That can be cloned by using a simple
rope and stick, tourniquet style. Yes, remove the valve core and jam
the air hose directly down on the valve stem for quickest seating.
Once it has air in it, reinstall the valve core and use a chuck to air
it to proper pressure.

--
Stoop and you'll be stepped on;
stand tall and you'll be shot at.
-- Carlos A. Urbizo
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Maybe you should be a more considerate neighbor and park the ****ing
thing *OFF* the street.

http://tinyurl.com/qhdn2y4

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
On Tuesday, March 10, 2015 at 6:12:35 AM UTC-4, Karl Townsend wrote:

if you are super serious, get your email to me. I'll ask the kid to
send a couple pics. I'll BET a google search would turn up even
better
info here.

Karl

I am serious, but do not have any space to set up a regular tire
machine. I can manage with what I have, but would like some tools
that would make it easier, but not take up a lot of space.

I did a search and found lots of stuff,but most of it takes a good
deal of storage space and needs bolting to the floor.

Now if I just had you as a neighbor.

Dan

I traded some worthless junk for a discarded shop-made 1/4" plate
welding table of equal value. To make it storable I sawed off the 3"
channel iron legs at 6" and beveled 2x4 legs to fit into the stubs
snugly, and attached wheels to one edge to move it.

The HF mini-changer bolts to it. I put a wooden block under the rim
where I'm breaking the bead to support it more solidly than the
central post does.

When not in use the table and the changer take up little shed space
atop the cement block collection.

The HF clerk told me that the cast aluminum handle may be weak, so I
reinforced it with steel side plates.

-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
[...]

He told me it didn't fit their machine so he had to break the solidly
glued bead by hand.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 03/10/2015 10:51 AM, Jim Wilkins wrote:

He told me it didn't fit their machine so he had to break the solidly
glued bead by hand.

If it was truly "glued", not at all surprising to me and probably would
have been virtually impossible to do w/o damaging the tire would be my
best estimate no matter how approached it...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"dpb" wrote in message
On 03/10/2015 10:51 AM, Jim Wilkins wrote:

He told me it didn't fit their machine so he had to break the
solidly
glued bead by hand.

If it was truly "glued", not at all surprising to me and probably
would have been virtually impossible to do w/o damaging the tire
would be my best estimate no matter how approached it...

The brown glue residue was clearly visible. Since the inside of the
rims was rusty and Sears is nearly useless I bought tubes and mower
deck mandrels from a rural parts store that looked like a relic of the
1950's, complete with a sleeping dog in the middle of the floor. Their
web site prices were up to date, though.
-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I've broke a lot of tires off the bead with a wagon jack under the bumper,
tow hook, or hitch receiver of a truck.

aka: farm jack & off road jack and probably few other things. Works pretty
darn good.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 10 Mar 2015 13:00:34 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

I've broke a lot of tires off the bead with a wagon jack under the bumper,
tow hook, or hitch receiver of a truck.

aka: farm jack & off road jack and probably few other things. Works pretty
darn good.

Last summer I needed to patch the tube in one of my backhoe tires.
After I got the wheel off of the machine I used the hoe to push the
tire off of the bead. Worked great. When putting the tire back on I
ran into a little trouble. Hanging on with all my weight to one of the
really long spoons it came out of the tire and I fell backwards
landing with my spine centered on one of the outrigger feet. It hurt
but I persevered and got the tire bead seated and got everything
mounted back on the backhoe. A couple weeks later I was getting a bone
scan to see if a cancer had spread and they found what looked like
one fractured vertebra. The doc asked if I had injured my back in any
way and I told him what had happened. He said that was good because if
I had not injured my back it would have been a sign of bone cancer.
Eric
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 10 Mar 2015 05:47:00 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Tuesday, March 10, 2015 at 6:12:35 AM UTC-4, Karl Townsend wrote:

if you are super serious, get your email to me. I'll ask the kid to
send a couple pics. I'll BET a google search would turn up even better
info here.

Karl

I am serious, but do not have any space to set up a regular tire machine. I can manage with what I have, but would like some tools that would make it easier, but not take up a lot of space.

I did a search and found lots of stuff,but most of it takes a good deal of storage space and needs bolting to the floor.

Now if I just had you as a neighbor.

Dan

When I was a young lad I worked in a "Service Station" on weekends.
We, or I should say the Boss, who was a big brawny guy, changed truck
tires with hand tools, which actually consisted to a manual bead
breaker (useful only on automobile tires), several "tire Irons" and a
10 lb. sledge hammer.... and an air compressor :-)

Storage space? Well maybe lean the sledge and the tire irons against
the wall and set the "bead breaker " in front of them and it would be,
say 1 square foot. See http://tinyurl.com/ncv2v8b for a home made bead
breaker in use.
--
Cheers,

John B.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

On the farm we had a set of "spoons" (tire irons) and a slide hammer
bead breaker. Just a chunk of sched 80 2 1/2" water pipe with the end
loaded with about 2 feet of lead, sliding over a steel bar with a 3
inchX 3.8" bar on the end, with the edges rounded to protect the bead.
Whale the heck out of the bead with the slide hammer, never having to
worry about damaging the rim.. The complete set took about 10 square
inches in the corner of the driving shed, right beside the "handy-man"
or "jack-all" high lift jack/fence strtcher, fence post puller which
could also be pressed into service as a bead breaker if you got a
particularly stubborn bead. Put the foot on the tire, and the jack
snout under the drawbar of the 44 Massey, jack a few strokes, and then
hit it with the slide-hammer. Jack another stroke and hit it a few
more times.
(The tractor DID take up a fairly large footprint in the shed - but
did not need to be bolted to the floor)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 10 Mar 2015 11:51:15 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Then he should have bought you a new tire after ruining the old one,
or was it entirely ruined? It'd certainly be out of balance after
that, though not an issue at mower speeds. g

This just in: http://tinyurl.com/npv3f4h
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should build it, right?

--
Stoop and you'll be stepped on;
stand tall and you'll be shot at.
-- Carlos A. Urbizo
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default TIre tools follow up

On Tuesday, March 10, 2015 at 8:47:05 AM UTC-4, wrote:

I am serious, but do not have any space to set up a regular tire machine. I can manage with what I have, but would like some tools that would make it easier, but not take up a lot of space.

Dan

I bought a Harbor Freight manual tire changer. Currently on sale for $40 so with a 20% off coupon it was $32. It would be hard to make one for less if you count your time as worth anything.

I tried adding some wood to the base, but you really need a big heavy base. But I have a support in the basement that has a plate that will accomodate a vise or a reloading tool. So unbolted that from the floor and then made an adapter plate that bolts to the same threaded holes in the concrete and the tire changer bolts to it.

The Harbor Freight changer has a bead breaker built in and I think it will be okay for home use. It is built out of fairly thin tubing and I would not recommend it for commercial use. But the design seems to be okay and good for home use. I have a welder and can make beefier replacement parts if needed.

Dan

Old Coats Tire Man manual tire changer oldjag Metalworking 19 November 29th 19 12:18 AM
Tire pressure KenK Home Repair 90 January 12th 15 01:00 PM
Trailer tire Steve B[_10_] Metalworking 3 August 8th 11 02:43 PM
The tire came off my B.S. Lowell Holmes Woodworking 7 February 16th 08 06:11 PM
tools, air tools, power tools, hand tools, cordeless tool 4qO3HN tim Electronics Repair 0 February 21st 07 09:34 PM