Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
snafu[_3_] snafu[_3_] is offline

Default Thread locking - Stainless steel into PVC

On 2015-05-11, wrote:
On Monday, May 11, 2015 at 9:10:21 AM UTC-4, snafu wrote:
On 11-May-15 9:03 PM,
wrote:
On Monday, May 11, 2015 at 8:23:10 AM UTC-4, snafu wrote:

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what chemical means might be
useful to lock or bond the (probably stainless) metal connector to the
PVC to prevent unscrewing?

[ ... ]

No experience, but I would try the pvc pipe adhesive.

[ ... ]

Hi Dan, I thought of that too, but figured it would simply soften the
PVC which would then re-harden after the solvent has evaporated. It's an
easy test so I should give it a go. Thanks.

It might work better if the threads are rough rother than nice smooth surfaces.

Hmm ... from the description, snipped a few posts upthread, the
connector sounds like a BNC. And it is common for those to have a
D-shaped threaded stem, so it will be non-rotating in a punched hole in
sheet metal. If so, then the solvent (not really an adhesive, I think)
would soften the hole and allow it to deform partially into the flat of
the 'D', so that would likely work.

As for the material of the connector -- assuming it is a real
BNC, it is likely a copper alloy, plated with either nickel for the low
grade ones, or with silver for the really high quality ones.

BTW The BNC is also supplied with a square flange with four corner
holes for screws, so you could drill and tap the holes for those
in the PVC if that would work better for you.

Hey Don, it's a large bayonet style connector. It has half a dozen
conductors but uses a bayonet fitting about 2x the diameter of a BNC to
lock & seal. Judging by the price and the look of the thing I'm pretty
sure its a custom made connector housing.