Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Thread locking - Stainless steel into PVC

On 2015-05-11, wrote:
On Monday, May 11, 2015 at 9:10:21 AM UTC-4, snafu wrote:
On 11-May-15 9:03 PM,
wrote:
On Monday, May 11, 2015 at 8:23:10 AM UTC-4, snafu wrote:

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what chemical means might be
useful to lock or bond the (probably stainless) metal connector to the
PVC to prevent unscrewing?

[ ... ]

No experience, but I would try the pvc pipe adhesive.

[ ... ]

Hi Dan, I thought of that too, but figured it would simply soften the
PVC which would then re-harden after the solvent has evaporated. It's an
easy test so I should give it a go. Thanks.

It might work better if the threads are rough rother than nice smooth surfaces.

Hmm ... from the description, snipped a few posts upthread, the
connector sounds like a BNC. And it is common for those to have a
D-shaped threaded stem, so it will be non-rotating in a punched hole in
sheet metal. If so, then the solvent (not really an adhesive, I think)
would soften the hole and allow it to deform partially into the flat of
the 'D', so that would likely work.

As for the material of the connector -- assuming it is a real
BNC, it is likely a copper alloy, plated with either nickel for the low
grade ones, or with silver for the really high quality ones.

BTW The BNC is also supplied with a square flange with four corner
holes for screws, so you could drill and tap the holes for those
in the PVC if that would work better for you.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
(too) near Washington D.C. |