AHilton

Default Easy And Nice Finish

"Do they have inherent UV resistance?"

As compared to what? To nothing at all, then yes. Lacquers with pigments
have more of a UV resistance and then you can buy lacquers with actual UV
protectants in them. Don't expect miracles though. It's not going to save
your Purpleheart, Osage Orange, or Padauk from going dark/brown but it'll
slow it down to varying degrees.

"Can successive coats be applied without sanding?"

Absolutely. That's one of the nice things about lacquer. It binds to
itself chemically and doesn't need that rough surface in order to bind.
That's why it levels (bumps, grooves, brush marks, etc.) itself so well as
compared to the polyurethanes. There's really no layers of coating. They
all become one.

The sanding I was referring to in my previous post wasn't to help in binding
each coat to the last. It's just to give a deeper, higher gloss shine.

- Andrew

I really don't know much about lacquers, beyond using them on our cars

back
in the Sixties. Do they have inherent UV resistance? Can successive

coats
be applied without sanding? Anything you can tell me would be

appreciated.

TIA,
Max