Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Repair or replace

My Brush hog mower is made from Abrasion Resistant steel. It drags
in sand and rock and just bounces about without much wear.

Martin

On 5/10/2015 1:17 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
Larry Jaques wrote:
On Sun, 10 May 2015 00:26:37 -0500, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

The mower deck I got with my very used 1982 yr model JD 317 yard
tractor has an advanced case of cancer , to the point that I
wouldn't dare spin up the blades for fear that one spindle would
come loose and hurt me . Yesterday I bought another deck and it
doesn't have the same cancer problems , but it does have some cracks
at the mount points from metal fatigue .

How about adding and welding in an additional 4-6" of 1/8" (1/4"?)
plate around those areas to spread out the stress points? Since it's
a mower deck, how about a 1/8" plate around and between the blade
mounts, a large oval. Weld a solid bead to keep grass from getting
under it and promoting cancer. Maybe TIG it to prevent embrittlement?
I guess it depends on the original deck steel.

Most likely just mild steel . The problem with adding gussets is that this
area is curved in two directions . It's at thhe front where it rolls from
horizontal to vertical , plus the front/vertical is curved .

The rear mount cracks I'm not worried about , I'll be cutting the
mounts off and replacing them with the originals since the newer
mount is different . Same size deck , just a different year model .
So do I need to be concerned with it cracking again ? I only want to
do this once , that thing is going to be a pain to R&R , and I can't
access that area with it mounted .

If I had a dollar for every time I wished something...

Would that be the 12 Acre Wood?

Why yes , yes it would !