Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Making a tool holder, have a metal 'type' question

On Fri, 08 May 2015 09:21:01 -0400, Joe Gwinn
wrote:

In article , Ed Huntress
wrote:

On Thu, 7 May 2015 21:32:55 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
On 8 May 2015 01:04:48 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"

On 2015-05-05, Bob Gentry wrote:
On Tue, 05 May 2015 12:43:18 -0400, Ed Huntress
wrote:

snip

Mild steel will be as stiff and rigid as any steel -- they all
have
the same stiffness -- but it won't be particularly strong.
However,
you're not likely to approach the strength limitations of mild
steel
or any other steel in this application. If you did, the toolholder
would be springing so much you couldn't use it anyway.

Ed
Thanks for the insight!

I've never used 12L14 and I've heard it is easier to cut and gives
nice finish. Would you see any problems with that in this
application
(just to try something new) ?

Just bear in mind that 12L14 does not well well. But it is a
beautiful material to machine in the lathe. (Not tried it in the
shaper
yet.)

Good Luck,
DoN.
Lathe, shaper, or mill, leaded steel is the easiest to machine and
make a nice finish -aka free machining steel - of which 12L14 is one
type. As easy to machine as 6061T6 AL or breass.

How is 1144 Stressproof?

AISI 1144, ASTM A311, and some other SAE grade describe the same basic
alloy. Stressproof is a patented steel, and the patent is the way 1144
is rolled, drawn, and heat-treated. It's drawn really hard.

Stressproof is intended to be used without further heat treatment.
It's a good grade for a lot of hobby applications because of that
fact, plus the facts that it machines well, it's very stable, and it
combines good ductility with around 100,000 psi yield strength.

Do you know the patent number, or the patentee and date? I'm curious.

As for machining 1144, I find it easier than 1018, with nicer finishes,
but one can definitely tell from the noise the lathe (or mill) makes
that 1144 is twice as strong as 1016.

Given the difference in alloy strength, I'd venture that bigger
stronger machine tools will work better.

Joe Gwinn

Most of my "stressproof" experience has been in modifying drive axles
- cut the axle in half, drill out one end and machine the other end
down to fit the recess at the right length, then reweld to shorten, or
add a siilarly prepaired piece of stressproof to lengthen an axle. The
stressproof chunk and the original axle machined almost identically,
The Myford Super Seven just gave up in dispair and the big indian
12X36complained but got the job done. (flat belt drive did most of the
complaining) Getting a fine finisg was not easy.