Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Making a tool holder, have a metal 'type' question

wrote in message
On 8 May 2015 01:04:48 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"

On 2015-05-05, Bob Gentry wrote:
On Tue, 05 May 2015 12:43:18 -0400, Ed Huntress
wrote:

snip

Mild steel will be as stiff and rigid as any steel -- they all
have
the same stiffness -- but it won't be particularly strong.
However,
you're not likely to approach the strength limitations of mild
steel
or any other steel in this application. If you did, the toolholder
would be springing so much you couldn't use it anyway.

Ed
Thanks for the insight!

I've never used 12L14 and I've heard it is easier to cut and gives
nice finish. Would you see any problems with that in this
application
(just to try something new) ?

Just bear in mind that 12L14 does not well well. But it is a
beautiful material to machine in the lathe. (Not tried it in the
shaper
yet.)

Good Luck,
DoN.

Lathe, shaper, or mill, leaded steel is the easiest to machine and
make a nice finish -aka free machining steel - of which 12L14 is one
type. As easy to machine as 6061T6 AL or breass.

How is 1144 Stressproof?

BTW 12L14 does not welD well.

-jsw