Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Making a tool holder, have a metal 'type' question

On Tuesday, May 5, 2015 at 12:35:02 PM UTC-4, Bob Gentry wrote:

What type of steel would be appropriate for this application?

I have a source of 'mild steel' local but would have to go to Seattle
or on line for just about anything else and I thought I'd tap the
knowledge of the group before I go shopping.

Thanks for any guidance you can give!

rgentryatozdotnet

Take a look at Bob Powel's website.

http://www.dogpatch.com/bobp/bobfaq.htm

From his website.

Summerville Steel is now called Bohler-Uddeholm 7010 S. 188th St, Kent. 800-552-5030. Commercial supplier of tool steel, specialty steels. Reasonable prices and minimums.

Summerville Steel use to sell tool steel remnants at $1 / lb and Alloy steel remnants at $.25 a lb. Do not know what their current policy is. If they still sell remnants, I would use 4340 or stressproof. No good reason other than they machine fairly well and are slightly rust proof.

Dan

Dan

Dan