Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
john B. john B. is offline

Default Off topic Aspalt tach coat/primer

On Thu, 30 Apr 2015 06:21:28 -0700 (PDT), stryped
wrote:

I am going to attempt to repair my horrible driveway by cutting out some of the

bad sections and installing hot mix asphalt myself. (I have a hot mix
plant about 10 miles away that will load my trailer with hot mix.

I have read that the road crews use a tach coat of asphalt emulsion

as a primer to help the asphalt stich to the old asphalt but am
having trouble finding it locally. There is a lot of "asphalt emulsion
primers" out there but they say they are for foundations and roofs. I
am assuming these will not work for the application I am wanting?

I appreciate it!

Yes, a tack coat is advisable. See
http://www.flexiblepavements.org/sit...19sept2012.pdf
or
http://www.clrp.cornell.edu/nuggets_...tack_coat.html
for more information.

I don't know about "asphalt emulsions" but paving work here seems to
be done with an application of hot asphalt using a truck with a spray
bar for a tack coat.

--
cheers,

John B.