Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Off topic Aspalt tach coat/primer

I am going to attempt to repair my horrible driveway by cutting out some of the bad sections and installing hot mix asphalt myself. (I have a hot mix plant about 10 miles away that will load my trailer with hot mix.

I have read that the road crews use a tach coat of asphalt emulsion as a primer to help the asphalt stich to the old asphalt but am having trouble finding it locally. There is a lot of "asphalt emulsion primers" out there but they say they are for foundations and roofs. I am assuming these will not work for the application I am wanting?

I appreciate it!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 30 Apr 2015 06:21:28 -0700 (PDT), stryped
wrote:

I am going to attempt to repair my horrible driveway by cutting out some of the bad sections and installing hot mix asphalt myself. (I have a hot mix plant about 10 miles away that will load my trailer with hot mix.

I have read that the road crews use a tach coat of asphalt emulsion as a primer to help the asphalt stich to the old asphalt but am having trouble finding it locally. There is a lot of "asphalt emulsion primers" out there but they say they are for foundations and roofs. I am assuming these will not work for the application I am wanting?

I appreciate it!

By tach coat do you mean one that is applied fast? Oh wait, that
wopuld be Mach coat. Tach coating is for maybe measuring how fast cars
drive on your driveway? I think you really mean TACK coat. Don't you
think the folks that sell hot mix would know what's best?
ERS
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I've looked around over the years and never really been able to find anyone
selling tack oil in less then 50 gal drums.

It is probably essential when laying and entire new layer of blacktop
I have found when just patching holes, that roasting the hole with a weed
burner until the old asphalt starts to spit tar back at you, does a fine job
of promoting a good bond with the new blacktop patch.

Paul K. Dickman

"stryped" wrote in message
I am going to attempt to repair my horrible driveway by cutting out some of
the bad sections and installing hot mix asphalt myself. (I have a hot mix
plant about 10 miles away that will load my trailer with hot mix.

I have read that the road crews use a tach coat of asphalt emulsion as a
primer to help the asphalt stich to the old asphalt but am having trouble
finding it locally. There is a lot of "asphalt emulsion primers" out there
but they say they are for foundations and roofs. I am assuming these will
not work for the application I am wanting?

I appreciate it!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I asked. They don't sell anything like that.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I am going to attempt to repair my horrible driveway by cutting out some of the

bad sections and installing hot mix asphalt myself. (I have a hot mix
plant about 10 miles away that will load my trailer with hot mix.

I have read that the road crews use a tach coat of asphalt emulsion

as a primer to help the asphalt stich to the old asphalt but am
having trouble finding it locally. There is a lot of "asphalt emulsion
primers" out there but they say they are for foundations and roofs. I
am assuming these will not work for the application I am wanting?

I appreciate it!

Yes, a tack coat is advisable. See
http://www.flexiblepavements.org/sit...19sept2012.pdf
or
http://www.clrp.cornell.edu/nuggets_...tack_coat.html
for more information.

I don't know about "asphalt emulsions" but paving work here seems to
be done with an application of hot asphalt using a truck with a spray
bar for a tack coat.

--
cheers,

John B.