Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Paul K. Dickman Paul K. Dickman is offline

Default Off topic Aspalt tach coat/primer

I've looked around over the years and never really been able to find anyone
selling tack oil in less then 50 gal drums.

It is probably essential when laying and entire new layer of blacktop
I have found when just patching holes, that roasting the hole with a weed
burner until the old asphalt starts to spit tar back at you, does a fine job
of promoting a good bond with the new blacktop patch.

Paul K. Dickman

"stryped" wrote in message
I am going to attempt to repair my horrible driveway by cutting out some of
the bad sections and installing hot mix asphalt myself. (I have a hot mix
plant about 10 miles away that will load my trailer with hot mix.

I have read that the road crews use a tach coat of asphalt emulsion as a
primer to help the asphalt stich to the old asphalt but am having trouble
finding it locally. There is a lot of "asphalt emulsion primers" out there
but they say they are for foundations and roofs. I am assuming these will
not work for the application I am wanting?

I appreciate it!