Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Help with the magnet in a magnetic drill

On Wed, 15 Apr 2015 17:29:25 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Wednesday, April 15, 2015 at 6:32:49 PM UTC-4, Ignoramus29328 wrote:

I need to use this drill badly for two projects.

thanks

I suspect the switch provides " full " power to clamp the drill to the work, and can also apply less current in the opposite direction to demagnetise and let you get the drill off the work.

Dan

DC is used to clamp..AC is used to demagnetize the coil itself.

When you turn the magnet on..it should be feeding it DC. When you turn
the magnet off..it should bypass the rectifier and feed the magnet
with AC..normally its a momentary position. On, center neutral and OFF
(with demagnetize)

Everybody does it slightly differently. Milwaukee uses a PC board to
perform all of that with a simple pushbutton on the newer mag drills.

You CAN simply turn off the magnet..but over time it will magnetize
the base of the unit and it gets to be a bitch to get that sucker
loose.

Surface grinders do much the same, particularly on the bigger tables.

Gunner

PJ O'Rourke