Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus18077 Ignoramus18077 is offline

Default Robotics

On 2015-04-13, Leon Fisk wrote:
On Mon, 13 Apr 2015 12:06:39 -0500
Ignoramus18077 wrote:

The robot that I made with my son, that works like a tracked skid
steer, turned out to be really good. I have no idea how we will end up
at the state level olympiad, but it is a good workable robot, like a
real skid steer, a machine for getting work done.

http://www.machinerymoverschicago.com/blog/Robocross/

Following this, and realizing that motion and electronic components
are very cheap and good nowadays, I decided to make a surveillance
robot.

It will be mounted on a wheeled or tracked platform (off the shelf),
have a Raspberry Pi 2 linux computer, it will connect to wifi and
carry a camera. The use for it would be to be remotely controlled and
explore my warehouse, so that I can tell it to go where I want, from
home, and I will be able to see the webcam stream from the robot.

I do not think that it will be particularly difficult to implement.
This is something that I always wanted to have, like "how is that pile
of copper pipes doing in that corner" or "are there any puddles on the
ground in this corner".

I do have cameras, about 8 by now, but they cannot cover everything.

It looks like there is quite a jump in prices for something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=a9_sc_1?...e+robot+wi fi

The SuperDroid platform with wifi starts at $2,898.00 See:

http://www.amazon.com/SuperDroid-Rob...dp/B00CFQWEZQ/

and no reviews yet...

Sounds like a cool project Ig ;-)

I will build something like that superdroid, but a bit smaller and
using Raspberry Pi 2. The total cost should be unser $300.