Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Robotics

The robot that I made with my son, that works like a tracked skid
steer, turned out to be really good. I have no idea how we will end up
at the state level olympiad, but it is a good workable robot, like a
real skid steer, a machine for getting work done.

http://www.machinerymoverschicago.com/blog/Robocross/

Following this, and realizing that motion and electronic components
are very cheap and good nowadays, I decided to make a surveillance
robot.

It will be mounted on a wheeled or tracked platform (off the shelf),
have a Raspberry Pi 2 linux computer, it will connect to wifi and
carry a camera. The use for it would be to be remotely controlled and
explore my warehouse, so that I can tell it to go where I want, from
home, and I will be able to see the webcam stream from the robot.

I do not think that it will be particularly difficult to implement.
This is something that I always wanted to have, like "how is that pile
of copper pipes doing in that corner" or "are there any puddles on the
ground in this corner".

I do have cameras, about 8 by now, but they cannot cover everything.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Sounds like a great father-son project.

I would love to have something like that to inspect the crawlspace under my
house with, to check for leaks and puddles. The genius that installed the
hvac ducts 20+ years before I arrived ran a main duct directly across the
crawlspace entrance, covering about the top 12 inches of a 22-24 inch high
opening, so getting in and out is very annoying (especially since I'm not as
thin as I was a few decades ago when I was a pre-teen :-)). The floor is
gravel that is fairly smooth, covered with a couple of layers of
polyethylene as a vapor barrier, so I don't think tracks would be required
but the wheels would need to be several inches in diameter and the overall
height less than 12" for easy entrance. Would also need headlights, and a
flat shelf for cargo would be nice so you could use it to bring someone that
wrench or screwdriver or sump pump they forgot to take under with them. You
could even add a cargo trailer for those big loads or XL battery packs if
you need to explore all night before returning to base for a charge. Just a
suggestion for another market if you try to sell these. Heck, I'd pay as
much as $19.95 for one, maybe even a bit more :-).

Regards,
Carl Ijames carl.ijames aat deletethis verizon dott net

"Ignoramus18077" wrote in message
news
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 13 Apr 2015 15:51:29 -0400, "Carl Ijames"
wrote:

[...]

My sister has a home that is frame on piers, on a slope so the
downhill has standing room underneath. During a bathroom renovation
for my bil due to his paralysis issues (widen access for wheelchair,
roll in shower, silly Japanese toilet, etc.), the fiberglass
insulation under the house needed to be replaced. It was full of
vermin, etc. I recommended closed cell polyurethane foam, which the
contractor also recommended.

My sister told me the guys doing the spraying in their respirators and
suits were frying rats, snakes, tarantulas, etc. with the foam guns.
Looked like the pre-flight on "The Fifth Element".

Would be a good robot application. Those guys were looking for some
relief from the critters.

Pete Keillor

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 13 Apr 2015 12:06:39 -0500
Ignoramus18077 wrote:

[...]

It looks like there is quite a jump in prices for something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=a9_sc_1?...e+robot+wi fi

The SuperDroid platform with wifi starts at $2,898.00 See:

http://www.amazon.com/SuperDroid-Rob...dp/B00CFQWEZQ/

and no reviews yet...

Sounds like a cool project Ig ;-)

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus18077" wrote in
message news
[...]

A classic student-project robot from the early days spent its time
looking for outlets to recharge itself.

-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus18077" wrote in
message news
[...]

Can you make it snarl and bark if it detects motion?

-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Good idea. Use a large EEPROM and store the binary code for the
sound - use a 8 bit D-A and make the machine talk/growl. Might
use an 8 bit A-D to program it.

Iggy will likely pick a PIC and have it do the task.

Martin

On 4/13/2015 4:45 PM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Ignoramus18077" wrote in
message news
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

Speeding up some all-day, two-man job by a factor of two would pay for a
lot more than $19.95.

"Errand Bot"

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus18077 wrote:

[...]

I will build something like that superdroid, but a bit smaller and
using Raspberry Pi 2. The total cost should be unser $300.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2015-04-13, Martin Eastburn wrote:
Good idea. Use a large EEPROM and store the binary code for the
sound - use a 8 bit D-A and make the machine talk/growl. Might
use an 8 bit A-D to program it.

Iggy will likely pick a PIC and have it do the task.

Being a full fledged Linux computer, this robot could be playing
youtube. Hey, even my CNC milling machine can play youtube.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 4/13/2015 10:06 AM, Ignoramus18077 wrote:
[...]

I see you son did the soldering!

Good job on the design. How much can the scoop lift?

Paul
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Only if you have the flash storage for the wav and the PIC computer
can read and play it out an blue tooth port to a blue tooth boom box.

Martin

On 4/13/2015 8:00 PM, Richard wrote:
That's so last century, Martin.

Just play a wav file.

On 4/13/2015 5:48 PM, Martin Eastburn wrote:
Good idea. Use a large EEPROM and store the binary code for the
sound - use a 8 bit D-A and make the machine talk/growl. Might
use an 8 bit A-D to program it.

Iggy will likely pick a PIC and have it do the task.

Martin

On 4/13/2015 4:45 PM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Ignoramus18077" wrote in
message news The robot that I made with my son, that works like a tracked skid
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2015-04-15, Paul Drahn wrote:
[...]

Not much, maybe 100 grams
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 13 Apr 2015 17:45:22 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

[...]

Jesus, Jim. There aren't enough miserable barking dogs in existence
now, you want barking _machines_, too? Bite your tongue!

--
It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails,
admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something.