Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Slightly OT - Good connector for high load car accessories?

. 4.170...
robobass fired this volley in
:

I maybe didn't make myself clear in my other posts, but I'm
actually
kind of against cigarette lighter plugs, and am seeking an
alternative. The socket in my car is fine, btw.

Well... I have to agree... I'm against MOST of the 'plugs', but the
sockets are reasonably well-suited to the purposes for which they
were
intended.

Most of the plugs, on the other hand, are cheaply made. But there
are
some 'professional duty' lighter plugs, with retractile side
contacts (so
there never are two 'hots' exposed on an unplugged plug), fusing,
and
robust-enough construction to hold up to thousands of manual
pluggings
and unpluggings.

You won't find them on WalMart hardware, though. Seldom on anything
but
EMS equipment, and/or military grade stuff.

Lloyd

Some mid-sized inverters come with decent high-current lighter plugs
that can be adapted for general use with Andersons.

-jsw