Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Slightly OT - Good connector for high load car accessories?

On 2015-04-10, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Ignoramus1742" wrote in
message
On 2015-04-09, Steve W. wrote:
robobass wrote:
When the family makes a road trip I bring along a 12v 4 amp
cooler.
The ciggie plug melted long ago and I wired up one of those
3/16"
cannon shaped connectors used for low voltage home stuff like
laptops, external HDs etc. It also gets very hot and is starting
melt. What's a good off-the-shelf solution which doesn't take up
much
room? The whole ciggie plug thing is the dumbest convention
ever,
must say. I can't believe it's still extant.

I agree with robobass, I cannot believe that this retardation is
allowed to flourish in the 21st century.

http://www.andersonpower.com/product...onnectors.html

There are many other connectors competing to become the standard
for
low voltage DC, but none are as easy to insert blindly with one
gloved
hand while driving.
http://radioactivemodels.ie/store/pr...oducts_id=1063
http://www.civicsolar.com/resource/t...s-and-couplers
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coaxial_power_connector
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DC_connector

I have hard times imagining that the humanity cannot invent
something
better.

Even I can invent something better that can be inserted with a
gloved
hand in the dark.

Hint, it can be a coaxial twist-lock connector.

If you make it able to deliver 20-30A for a transmitter, inverter,
fridge or faster air compressor, with screw terminals and strain
relief for 12 AWG wire and an internal fuse to protect thinner wire,
it won't be much smaller.

If you don't double or triple the present 120W power limit there's
insufficient reason to change.

I added Anderson cables that I can connect to the battery without
tools, via a wingnut on the Ford's starter solenoid and a spare
underhood fusebox lug on the car. The negative lead is permanently
connected since it isn't a fire hazard.

-jsw