Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Slightly OT - Good connector for high load car accessories?

On 2015-04-09, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"robobass" wrote in message
I have to
be careful using the outlet to charge the battery because the male
lighter plug would be hot on two exposed terminals if connected to
the
charger first.

-jsw

Yeah, and I don't know what kind of lighter plugs you use, but
capacity might also be an issue. Anyway, I maintain that ciggie plugs
are just dumb. The only reason we have them is because the socket is
already there, but it wasn't intended to supply juice to accessories,
let alone accept it for charging.

Of course, the lighter plug was originally designed simply to
power a cigarette lighter for a number of seconds (something like 15 to
30, at a guess), and the connector was capable of handling that without
problems.

However, when you get to long-term draw -- that is beyond its
design capability.

And as for why it is on cars today -- even cars which come
*without* a cigarette lighter -- it is because it has been in cars for
long enough so people have found other uses for it -- whether it is well
designed for the purpose or not -- it gets *used* for those extra
purposes, and people complain if it is not present. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail