Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Slightly OT - Good connector for high load car accessories?

On Thu, 9 Apr 2015 07:32:34 -0700 (PDT), robobass
wrote:

I have to
be careful using the outlet to charge the battery because the male
lighter plug would be hot on two exposed terminals if connected to the
charger first.

-jsw

Yeah, and I don't know what kind of lighter plugs you use, but capacity might also be an issue. Anyway, I maintain that ciggie plugs are just dumb.

+1. DUMB design.

The only reason we have them is because the socket is already there, but it wasn't intended to supply juice to accessories, let alone accept it for charging.

True. I've only felt one plug which "felt right" in all my time in
cars. It had 4 springs, made solid contact, and had an oversized
spring-loaded center contact. I think it was a Bosch, but it has been
decades. All the rest are trash.

Anyway, g'luck with the Amphenol.

A surprise came in the mail yesterday when my battery terminal ends
came in from Hong Kong. They were brass, as advertised, but they were
plated, not solid. And they were for 13mm battery posts. WTF? He
kindly refunded my money, so now I'm the proud owner of 4 golden mini
battery cable ends. So much for the buck apiece price, huh? sigh

I'm really surprised that an Alfalfa Romero even _has_ a ciggie
lighter. gd&r

--
It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails,
admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something.