Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Paul Drahn Paul Drahn is offline

Default Slightly OT - Good connector for high load car accessories?

On 4/9/2015 1:38 AM, robobass wrote:
When the family makes a road trip I bring along a 12v 4 amp cooler. The ciggie plug melted long ago and I wired up one of those 3/16" cannon shaped connectors used for low voltage home stuff like laptops, external HDs etc. It also gets very hot and is starting to melt. What's a good off-the-shelf solution which doesn't take up much room? The whole ciggie plug thing is the dumbest convention ever, I must say. I can't believe it's still extant.

I modified a similar 4 amp cooler to be both a cooler and a heater,
using and Ardiuno micro controller. The problem you found is caused by
the 4 amp fuse in the tip of the plug. It makes a very small contact on
each end and heats up. If you can find a lighter plug without the fuse,
get it. Then get a regular automotive fuse holder and put it in line
with your cooler.

The newer auto fuses are designed to carry the full rated current and
have very well designed sockets for the fuse blades.

Actually, there is really no reason for a fuse, anyway. The Peltier
device only fails by opening. The little fan would die rather than cause
a fire.

Paul