Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Slightly OT - Good connector for high load car accessories?

"robobass" wrote in message
I have to
be careful using the outlet to charge the battery because the male
lighter plug would be hot on two exposed terminals if connected to
the
charger first.

-jsw

Yeah, and I don't know what kind of lighter plugs you use, but
capacity might also be an issue. Anyway, I maintain that ciggie plugs
are just dumb. The only reason we have them is because the socket is
already there, but it wasn't intended to supply juice to accessories,
let alone accept it for charging.

========

The lighter outlet on the dash of my car is fused too small to operate
a cigarette lighter anyway; it's -only- for accessories. There's also
one in the back for a portable cooler I use for summer grocery
shopping. The plug has never been hot when disconnected.

The other connector options require you to look at them to orient them
correctly, which you can't do while driving at night. I can plug the
flasher into the lighter outlet on my tractor with one gloved hand
while bouncing around and watching where I'm going. I couldn't with
any of the other choices of DC power connector such as the airplane
outlet I'm fiddling with blindly. It has two wrong positions that feel
like it might go in if pushed harder.

The two-pin trailer connector sees some use for 12V power. Be sure
that +12V is on the insulated pin.
http://www.amazon.com/Pico-0710PT-Tr.../dp/B00030COC4

-jsw