Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Slightly OT - Good connector for high load car accessories?

"robobass" wrote in message

I think I've got it. Something called AMP-SUPERSEAL, which I gather is
widely used in cars and consequently super-cheap online. You can even
get all kinds of rubber housings for it if you want to get extreme,
but the basic 2-pole unit looks like enough for me. I know that the
ciggie plug thing can be made to work, but it's partly an aesthetic
thing and partly size. We sometimes go tent camping on the Dutch coast
in my little Alfa Romeo wagon, and we number five including the Au
Pair. The glove box in that car is exactly what it says - just big
enough for some gloves and a few maps! Get a bigger car? Sure, but my
parking spot in central Cologne is just big enough for the car I have,
and I'd rather drive an Alfa than almost anything else with four
doors.

===============

That looks like a very good solution for you.

A vehicle battery can be either the source or the load (for a charger)
so I like genderless Andersons for connections I'd make with both
hands while parked, such as a battery charger or winch. Then the
charger's outlet mates with the portable cooler's inlet to precool it
at home and either can connect to the battery. A DC power meter which
reads current in only one direction can be plugged in between them
either way, to measure charge or discharge.

I added a lighter outlet with a cover instead of an Anderson to the
tractor to plug in the flasher because mowing fills everything with
dust, and I plug in the flasher with one hand while driving. I have to
be careful using the outlet to charge the battery because the male
lighter plug would be hot on two exposed terminals if connected to the
charger first.

-jsw