Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Tapping 6-32 in aluminum

On 2015-04-06, Ignoramus32423 wrote:
On 2015-04-06, Jim Wilkins wrote:

[ ... ]

If you used an LM317 adjustable regulator for the tracks you could
tune the voltage for best performance while retaining control, and
waste less of the battery's energy as heat. You could put a knob on
the voltage adjustment pot so you have a throttle instead of just
on/off control.

[ ... ]

Jim, you are right. I actually have several LM317T regulators. I just
wanted to take the easy route. I wish that I could somehow have a
ramp-up of speed, though, not go from zero to full throttle in an
instant.

Hmm ... if using the variable regulators, put a limiting
resistor in series with the control voltage, and an electrolytic
capacitor to slow the ramp-up. (Put a diode in parallel with the
resistor to make the ramp-down faster, however, to make it easier to
stop before a crash. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--