Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus32423 Ignoramus32423 is offline

Default Tapping 6-32 in aluminum

On 2015-04-06, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
Ignoramus32423 fired this volley in
:

Oh, and why would LM317 waste less energy as heat?

It would not. It's a linear regulator, also, and disspates exactly
whatever is the drop*current across itself.

But it's darned handy for 'tuning' stuff.

There is a way, with an LM317 to get a 'soft start'. National Semi shows
a circuit or two that does that.

Having that constant-current output on the reference lead can give you
interesting possibilities.

LLoyd

That's cool. I use a reversing switch on the output of these
regulators, so not as easy to have a soft start. Maybe one day I will
so something like that.