Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default California Drought pics

On Sun, 22 Mar 2015 09:21:12 -0700, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

Gunner Asch on Sun, 22 Mar 2015 00:55:22 -0700
On Sat, 21 Mar 2015 20:21:57 -0700, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

Larry Jaques on Sat, 21 Mar 2015
06:23:01 -0700 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floods_in_California

With floods that predictable, my question is: "Why hasn't anyone built
100+ reservoirs to catch it all every 14-24 years?" Hmm...

We have a ****load of reservoirs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._in_California

Some 1400 of them

But not nearly enough, as is well evident.

Part of the problem is that over the last several decades, while
the population has been increasing, from immigration and "natural
increase" - there has been no co-responding increase in storage
capacity. Something about protecting the environment, and stopping
all those nasty dam building project.
Not saying raising the height of some of the dams would be a cure
all, but, increasing the capacity of the dams means that less water
has to be sent over the spillway to make way for the spring floods.

Then we have that Delta Smelt issue..preventing Sacramento River Delta
water from being pumped into the system. A long term issue..very long
term.

http://naturalresources.house.gov/is.../?IssueID=5921

Which is politics exacerbating an existing "natural" situation.

My understanding of California history is that the first four
attempts to settle in the LA basin failed, due to famine and drought.

Then came William Mulholland.

There was a good movie with Jack Nicholson which tapped that theme.
Chinatown, 1974.

http://www.laaqueduct100.com/vltg_portfolio/movies/ More info on the
result of Mulholland's work.

--
The Road to Success...is always under construction.
--anon