Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default California Drought pics

On 03/22/2015 10:34 AM, Ed Huntress wrote:

I suspect that other parts of the country, ones that are now producing
mostly grain crops, could take up the slack. But that would mean huge
displacements of people and production.

Not much, no...the midwest is generally too short a growing season for
the produce crops to make it particularly productive for much of the
CA-specific production, sorry.

And, of course, much of us are in severe drought as well as the jet
patterns and the El Nino/La Nina and the general global oscillation
patterns are global, hence affect broad areas similarly...

http://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/

Draw a line from the Pacific NW corner to the southern tip of FL on the
map and with a few exceptions other than the coastal NW and towards the
SE, if you're to the south and west of the line it ain't good. The two
targets are, of course, S CA and TX/OK/KS. The good news is that it has
begun to at least abate somewhat in the midwest indications are some
more movement. Last two years, all of KS was at least D2-D3 and 40% was
D4 (exceptional) extending the current areas that show D0/D1 in the
upper high plains/midwest to D2/D3...

Being dryland wheat/milo farmer in SW KS, we pay attention to such
things... (We're in that D3 bullseye in the SW corner)