Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default power supply

On Thu, 19 Mar 2015 22:50:48 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"

On Mon, 16 Mar 2015 14:41:39 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"

That's why I LOVE underground electrical distribution. Storms don't
take down the lines, and lighting can't find the wires to deliver a
direct hit.
I use on-line (dual conversion) UPS for my sensitive electronics
(computers)

I had a strike on my barn, years ago. The electric lines ran
underground, to the power pole, near the house. It got into the phone
line, and vaporized the wire all the way to the street, a mile away. It
destroyed the SLIC in the pedestal, and made it over five miles into the
CO, in town. It also damaged a computer monitor that had the cables
disconnected, and wrapped around the base of the monitor. It fried the
C-band TV system, a TV, a stereo and one of my computers.

The closest "above ground" electrical wire to my place is almost 2
miles away, with half a dozen transformers in vaults between here and
there to "catch" the surge and dump it to ground before it gets here.
The dual conversion UPS looks after what's left. (we are in Ontario's
"thunder alley" so we get lot's of lightning storms.)

Do you have a 300 foot tower to deal with?

Where in my description would that fit in??? Yes, the high tension
wiring is on tall steel towers. The street lamps are on steel or
re-enforced concrete poles. There are cell and radio towers around -
but none of them have any influence on our local power distribution,
phone, or cable.