Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default power supply

On 3/15/2015 1:14 PM, Jim Wilkins wrote:

After Leonard Nimoy died MeTV ran Mission Impossible, Twilight Zone,
Get Smart etc episodes he'd been in. I was more impressed with him as
Spock than any of the others, including recently as William Bell on
Fringe.

I talked to him backstage after his one-man stage play based on
Vincent Van Gogh's letters, which I'd read, and managed to discuss his
other work without ever mentioning Star Trek.

Somehow his presence in Boston hadn't been noticed by Trekkies, my GF
and I were his only visitors that day.

Nimoy was also in one episode of the "The Man from UNCLE" in a minor
role as a henchman. The guest star of that episode was Shatner.

David

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend wrote:
On Sat, 14 Mar 2015 22:58:44 -0500, Martin Eastburn
wrote:

Sounds like you don't know the art of movies.

We watch some several times a year and some every year and some several
times a season. Well, we have more movies than most rental places have.

We see things we missed a dozen times before. Some are important and
are not known until the end of the movie. Second time you see hints and
have a deeper thought about the movie.

Some guys watch only the fights. Some watch the art of film making.

Martin

Glad to know I'm not the only one. I also like to watch how an actor
matures over the years. Like a Sean Connery with a bit part in Longest
day, or Harrison Ford small part in Apocalypse Now, many others. I
know I've watched every Clint Eastwood a dozen times, pretty much the
same with John Wayne. Many many others too.

I don't sleep at night, watch three movies a night most every day.

karl

http://viooz.ac/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"David R. Birch" wrote in message
On 3/15/2015 1:14 PM, Jim Wilkins wrote:

After Leonard Nimoy died MeTV ran Mission Impossible, Twilight
Zone,
Get Smart etc episodes he'd been in. I was more impressed with him
as
Spock than any of the others, including recently as William Bell on
Fringe.

I talked to him backstage after his one-man stage play based on
Vincent Van Gogh's letters, which I'd read, and managed to discuss
his
other work without ever mentioning Star Trek.

Somehow his presence in Boston hadn't been noticed by Trekkies, my
GF
and I were his only visitors that day.

Nimoy was also in one episode of the "The Man from UNCLE" in a minor
role as a henchman. The guest star of that episode was Shatner.

David

I just backed up and checked that recording a minute ago. The villain
was Werner Klemperer (Col. Klink).

-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 15 Mar 2015 10:00:33 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .

Oh, and whoever told Hollywood to show every dramatic scene in
previews all in a row in 40 seconds? Y'know, scenes which took 10
minutes just to build up suspense? The sheeple don't care, but we
do.

My usual reaction is "if those are the best parts I'm not paying to
watch the rest".

Yeah, the preview of the hoarse scream under the waterfall (by Daniel
Day Lewis in Last of the Mohicans) nearly kept me from watching what
turned out to be a very good movie.

-jsw, once a techie on a film crew.

Status!

-- Sir Winston Churchill
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

And if war breaks out, a supply that is safe. Remember the tanker issue
with Japan - take them out and the boats stop.
Planes stop and back then even the trains. Coal was the best then oil.
Oil then was for the war.

East Texas was drained rather deeply sending it to the East in the Big
and little 'Inch' pipelines. All tax free. Texas got nothing from it.

Keystone is an independence key point.

Martin

On 3/15/2015 6:23 AM, wrote:
On Saturday, March 14, 2015 at 11:46:03 PM UTC-4, Larry Jaques wrote:

As far as Keystone goes, I am absolutely against it. It's not our oil
and it's not being sold to us, so why endanger our fresh water for it?

The Canadian oil is going to be produced regardless of whether a pipeline is built or not. If no pipeline is built it will be transported to Vancouver, Canada and shipped on Tankers from there. Shipping by rail car is more dangerous and costly than shipping by pipeline.

If the keystone pipeline is built, some of the money will come to the U.S. as fees for using the pipeline. And more of the money will come to the U.S. as the refining will be done in the U.S. In addition the refined oil could be sent by pipeline to the East Coast. So even if the refined oil is shipped over seas by tanker, it will mean that the costs of gasoline and heating oil will be slightly less in the U.S.

Not building the Keystone Pipeline will not mean that the oil will not be used and will not keep the CO2 out of the atmosphere.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 03/15/2015 01:14 PM, Jim Wilkins wrote:

After Leonard Nimoy died MeTV ran Mission Impossible, Twilight Zone,
Get Smart etc episodes he'd been in. I was more impressed with him as
Spock than any of the others, including recently as William Bell on
Fringe.

Did they show the episode of Highway Patrol (starring
Broderick Crawford) where Leonard Nimoy was a gun-toting heavy?

technomaNge
--
A minor roll, but still.....

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

technomaNge wrote:

On 03/15/2015 01:14 PM, Jim Wilkins wrote:

After Leonard Nimoy died MeTV ran Mission Impossible, Twilight Zone,
Get Smart etc episodes he'd been in. I was more impressed with him as
Spock than any of the others, including recently as William Bell on
Fringe.

Did they show the episode of Highway Patrol (starring
Broderick Crawford) where Leonard Nimoy was a gun-toting heavy?

I didn't think they were running Highway Patrol these days and I
don't see it listed. http://metvnetwork.com/shows/ They can't run it if
they don't have the rights.

BTW, Thank you, I got the package. I haven't been on the group for a
while, due to all the trips to the VA wound clinic. The long days of
travel leave me exhausted. At least I'm no longer waking myself up with
my screaming in pain, and catching myself about to roll out of bed from
the muscle spasms.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"technomaNge" wrote in message
On 03/15/2015 01:14 PM, Jim Wilkins wrote:

After Leonard Nimoy died MeTV ran Mission Impossible, Twilight
Zone,
Get Smart etc episodes he'd been in. I was more impressed with him
as
Spock than any of the others, including recently as William Bell on
Fringe.

Did they show the episode of Highway Patrol (starring
Broderick Crawford) where Leonard Nimoy was a gun-toting heavy?

technomaNge
--
A minor roll, but still.....

Dunno, I stopped watching after 1 AM.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 3/15/2015 6:23 AM, wrote:
On Saturday, March 14, 2015 at 11:46:03 PM UTC-4, Larry Jaques wrote:

As far as Keystone goes, I am absolutely against it. It's not our oil
and it's not being sold to us, so why endanger our fresh water for it?

The Canadian oil is going to be produced regardless of whether a pipeline is built or not. If no pipeline is built it will be transported to Vancouver, Canada and shipped on Tankers from there. Shipping by rail car is more dangerous and costly than shipping by pipeline.

They why aren't they building their own pipeline in their own country?
Or, why aren't we using short runs of pipe and building refineries in
Montana, etc. so it could be refined here in the US instead? That
would do us some good, drop the price of gas, keep the oil safe and
available, etc.

If the keystone pipeline is built, some of the money will come to the U.S. as fees for using the pipeline. And more of the money will come to the U.S. as the refining will be done in the U.S. In addition the refined oil could be sent by pipeline to the East Coast. So even if the refined oil is shipped over seas by tanker, it will mean that the costs of gasoline and heating oil will be slightly less in the U.S.

I thought all the refining would be done elsewhere; all we got were
the labor charges for building it and a pittance for flowing it. BUT,
if the US has so much refining capacity, why are they closing
refineries everywhere over the past 2+ decades? Answer: They keep the
price of gas up by pinching off the refining capacity. If anything,
the Canadian glut will raise them even more. How does that suit
anyone but the oil companies and their refineries?

Not building the Keystone Pipeline will not mean that the oil will not be used and will not keep the CO2 out of the atmosphere.

snort As if...

-- Sir Winston Churchill
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 16 Mar 2015 06:05:49 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

technomaNge wrote:

[...]

Egad! Welcome back. I wondered where you'd gone, not having seen a
post from you in a coon's age. Condolences on the pain. That has to
be the absolute suckiest portion of our human existence.

How'd the VA fix ya? New meds (hopefully) or (eek) procedures?

-- Sir Winston Churchill

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keystone_Pipeline

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

technomaNge wrote:

[...]

Thanks. I was spending a little time on Facebook, to catch up on
friends who don't know what Usenet is, or have no access to it.

I have been making trips there since around last Veteran's day. They
have a wound clinic, and use things like Santyl in the deep ulcers. A 30
gram tube of the stuff is over $250, They use some silver bearing pads,
and at first they used some special foam pads to adsorb the drainage.
Then everything was covered with a soft cast, for a week at a time.

The wound was a long thin line. It is now two smaller, and shallow
wounds that they covered with skin grafts. They didn't give me anything
for the pain, of course. I was told by one VA nurse that being in enough
pain to consider taking your legs off with a chain saw was only a '3' on
a scale from 1 to 10. I called her 'Nurse Ratched'. She was also they
PITA that insisted that no one could figure out how to use a Glucose
meter, without sitting through their class.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Wilkins wrote:

I grouped the devices that most need isolation into one coax panel for
outdoor antennas and cameras and two accessible outlet strips, one for
the stereo rack and the other for the computer bench, so I can react
quickly to thunder.

After lightning hit the tower at a CATV headend, I cleaned up the mess
made by the unskilled who wired the place. I used a spare aluminum rack
panel, and drilled a row of 3/8" holes in it. Then I installed a row of
F81 bulkhead adapters to connect all of the antenna lines from the
tower. The plate was connected to the headend grounding system. I also
replaced all of the audio wiring with Belden foil & drain shielded wire.
We never had a problem, after that.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Monday, March 16, 2015 at 11:37:34 AM UTC-4, Larry Jaques wrote:

They why aren't they building their own pipeline in their own country?
Or, why aren't we using short runs of pipe and building refineries in
Montana, etc. so it could be refined here in the US instead? That
would do us some good, drop the price of gas, keep the oil safe and
available, etc.

They may end up building a pipeline to the West Coast if the Keystone one is not approved. The Keystone pipeline is intended to connect to existing pipelines in the U.S. so the oil could be sent to Texas and refined there. So a lot of the needed pipeline already exists. There are already refineries in Texas.

Building more refineries would raise more hate and discontent than building the pipeline.

I thought all the refining would be done elsewhere; all we got were
the labor charges for building it and a pittance for flowing it. BUT,
if the US has so much refining capacity, why are they closing
refineries everywhere over the past 2+ decades? Answer: They keep the
price of gas up by pinching off the refining capacity. If anything,
the Canadian glut will raise them even more. How does that suit
anyone but the oil companies and their refineries?

They close some refineries because they are old and it would be expensive to upgrade them to current technology. If you already have a refinery it is easier to get permits to enlarge it than to get a permit to build a new one.

Dan

Not building the Keystone Pipeline will not mean that the oil will not be used and will not keep the CO2 out of the atmosphere.

snort As if...

-- Sir Winston Churchill

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 16 Mar 2015 14:41:39 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"

That's why I LOVE underground electrical distribution. Storms don't
take down the lines, and lighting can't find the wires to deliver a
direct hit.
I use on-line (dual conversion) UPS for my sensitive electronics
(computers)

I had a strike on my barn, years ago. The electric lines ran
underground, to the power pole, near the house. It got into the phone
line, and vaporized the wire all the way to the street, a mile away. It
destroyed the SLIC in the pedestal, and made it over five miles into the
CO, in town. It also damaged a computer monitor that had the cables
disconnected, and wrapped around the base of the monitor. It fried the
C-band TV system, a TV, a stereo and one of my computers.

The closest "above ground" electrical wire to my place is almost 2
miles away, with half a dozen transformers in vaults between here and
there to "catch" the surge and dump it to ground before it gets here.
The dual conversion UPS looks after what's left. (we are in Ontario's
"thunder alley" so we get lot's of lightning storms.)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

technomaNge wrote:

[...]

Well, good.

I have been making trips there since around last Veteran's day. They
have a wound clinic, and use things like Santyl in the deep ulcers. A 30
gram tube of the stuff is over $250, They use some silver bearing pads,
and at first they used some special foam pads to adsorb the drainage.
Then everything was covered with a soft cast, for a week at a time.

Sounds nasty, but I'm sure it was nice once you got the meds on.

The wound was a long thin line. It is now two smaller, and shallow
wounds that they covered with skin grafts. They didn't give me anything
for the pain, of course. I was told by one VA nurse that being in enough
pain to consider taking your legs off with a chain saw was only a '3' on
a scale from 1 to 10. I called her 'Nurse Ratched'.

What a beeyotch!

She was also they
PITA that insisted that no one could figure out how to use a Glucose
meter, without sitting through their class.

After having _used_ one several times daily for 30 years, eh? sigh

-- Sir Winston Churchill
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Remember the cold war kept 1/3 of the planes in the air at a time.
That is a lot of gas. Most Air force bases were served by 3
refineries. It allowed on to go down for repair and used 1 or 2.

Now with a lot of the aircraft in mothballs, and the replacements
are fewer with less flights, we have fewer refineries...

Navy down, down, down, ....down in size. Less fuel oil, gasoline and
jet fuel needed on the fleets.

Let WWIII really break out - as it isn't - trade lines are in danger,
either from the sender or the route taken.
Look at the crazy pirates working the tankers and ships now and they are
small fry. Not a navy with work to do.

And Keystone has branches to the central time zone already. Just none
to make OK to send Oklahoma sands down here as well as Canada.

Martin

On 3/15/2015 6:23 AM, wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tim Wescott wrote:

On Mon, 16 Mar 2015 14:41:39 -0400, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

wrote:

That's why I LOVE underground electrical distribution. Storms don't
take down the lines, and lighting can't find the wires to deliver a
direct hit.
I use on-line (dual conversion) UPS for my sensitive electronics
(computers)

I had a strike on my barn, years ago. The electric lines ran
underground, to the power pole, near the house. It got into the phone
line, and vaporized the wire all the way to the street, a mile away. It
destroyed the SLIC in the pedestal, and made it over five miles into the
CO, in town. It also damaged a computer monitor that had the cables
disconnected, and wrapped around the base of the monitor. It fried the
C-band TV system, a TV, a stereo and one of my computers.

That sounds like one hell of a lightning strike!

I had a battery powered digital thermometer explode. It wasn't
connected to anything. The power went off during another storm, and it
was raining so hard that I would have never made it from my shop to the
house in the water running down that hill. So, I was inside a windowless
building that was light most of the time by light that leaked in around
the steel doors. When the storm ended, the news reported over 1100
strikes in under a half hour.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

On Mon, 16 Mar 2015 14:27:18 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

She was also the PITA that insisted that no one could figure out
how to use a Glucose meter, without sitting through their class.

After having _used_ one several times daily for 30 years, eh? sigh

That was my first, but I had taught my dad to use three different
models over the years. They had canceled that class time after time, yet
complained that I wasn't testing my glucose levels. She got really
****ed when I told her that I knew engineers that designed the medical
equipment they used.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 19 Mar 2015 22:50:48 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"

[...]

Do you have a 300 foot tower to deal with?

Where in my description would that fit in??? Yes, the high tension
wiring is on tall steel towers. The street lamps are on steel or
re-enforced concrete poles. There are cell and radio towers around -
but none of them have any influence on our local power distribution,
phone, or cable.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

That was to do with the strike at the CATV headend. BTW, that
service was underground.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 19 Mar 2015 23:32:18 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"

[...]

CATV technology has changed - and I'm about 20Km from the "cable
head" Now if it struck the distribution box in the neighbour's back
yard (2 foot high metal box) with the cover off, my TV would
definitely know about it.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

She was also the PITA that insisted that no one could figure out
how to use a Glucose meter, without sitting through their class.

After having _used_ one several times daily for 30 years, eh? sigh

That was my first, but I had taught my dad to use three different
models over the years. They had canceled that class time after time, yet
complained that I wasn't testing my glucose levels. She got really
****ed when I told her that I knew engineers that designed the medical
equipment they used.

I don't doubt it. How could that possibly affect her ego, um, I mean
brilliance?

--
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to
succeed is more important than any one thing.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I had a strike on my barn, years ago. The electric lines ran
underground, to the power pole, near the house. It got into the phone
line, and vaporized the wire all the way to the street, a mile away. It
destroyed the SLIC in the pedestal, and made it over five miles into the
CO, in town. It also damaged a computer monitor that had the cables
disconnected, and wrapped around the base of the monitor. It fried the
C-band TV system, a TV, a stereo and one of my computers.

Sorry, didn't read your post till now.

I have underground from the hiway to my house , 200 years on the
primary or high side. All underground on the secondary (low voltage)
around my property.

Lightning took out all the computers on the place last summer.

That's the reason for this thread.

karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I have underground from the hiway to my house , 200 years on the

damn auto speel check YARDS