Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default power supply

Tim Wescott wrote:

On Mon, 16 Mar 2015 14:41:39 -0400, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

wrote:

That's why I LOVE underground electrical distribution. Storms don't
take down the lines, and lighting can't find the wires to deliver a
direct hit.
I use on-line (dual conversion) UPS for my sensitive electronics
(computers)

I had a strike on my barn, years ago. The electric lines ran
underground, to the power pole, near the house. It got into the phone
line, and vaporized the wire all the way to the street, a mile away. It
destroyed the SLIC in the pedestal, and made it over five miles into the
CO, in town. It also damaged a computer monitor that had the cables
disconnected, and wrapped around the base of the monitor. It fried the
C-band TV system, a TV, a stereo and one of my computers.

That sounds like one hell of a lightning strike!

I had a battery powered digital thermometer explode. It wasn't
connected to anything. The power went off during another storm, and it
was raining so hard that I would have never made it from my shop to the
house in the water running down that hill. So, I was inside a windowless
building that was light most of the time by light that leaked in around
the steel doors. When the storm ended, the news reported over 1100
strikes in under a half hour.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.