Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Flare brake lines?

"Leon Fisk" wrote in message
On Wed, 18 Mar 2015 08:59:06 -0400
"Jim Wilkins" wrote:

"Leon Fisk" wrote in message
On Wed, 18 Mar 2015 08:00:29 -0400
"Jim Wilkins" wrote:

snip
The advice I was hoping for was a recommendation of a compatible
or
insoluble heavy grease to put on the bleeder threads. The only
"brake
grease" I have is for the caliper slides and rear self-adjuster,
and
its strength is a high temperature tolerance to keep it off the
friction surfaces rather than compatibility with the fluid and
rubber
cups.

I would and have used "SIL-GLYDE Lubricating Compound" for stuff
like that. Been using it to protect/seal the reservoir/pumps area
on
my
Magna motorcycle for many years now. The tube I have is very old,
given
to me by a professional mechanic. He was giving me advice on how
rebuild the front disc brakes on my truck. See:

http://www.agscompany.com/images/sto...ting_-_tds.pdf

http://www.amazon.com/SILGLYDE-LUBE-.../dp/B000KXLR5E

Haven't noticed any thing odd/weird going on when I change the
fluid
in
the reservoirs on the cycle yearly.

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Yep, that's the right direction. Thanks.

Here is some discussion for and against using it on disk brake
piston
seals:
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...ld-grease.html

They make/sell it with several different names. I don't know if it
is
all the same or not. That article doesn't really say which version
the
original poster was using but I got the feeling it was the stuff for
stopping squeals. Lots of other useful suggestions there though. For
some info on the different "Glydes" see:

http://agscompany.com/product-category/lubricants/

They seem to like that "Glyde" name

Leon Fisk

These are somewhat helpful:
http://honda-tech.com/honda-civic-de...-what-1948126/
http://www.nippon-grease.co.jp/en/pr...rease/g02.html

My shop manual is similar. The text says to "Coat the piston, piston
seals and caliper bore with clean brake fluid", but doesn't mention
the piston seal grease.

I suspect that a grease meant to go on the piston seals won't cause a
problem if a bit of it leaks in from the bleeder screw, although they
must have a reason for specifying a different grease on external
parts.

-jsw