Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Flare brake lines?

On Fri, 13 Mar 2015 19:28:58 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Tim Wescott" wrote in message
On Wed, 11 Mar 2015 18:41:33 -0400, Jim Wilkins wrote:

I guess the key word for me is "workmanlike". A long run that used
to be
one piece that's had one section cut out and replaced (making it
three
pieces) is "workmanlike" to me. A long run that used to be one
piece with
five rusted out spots, that's now in 11 pieces, is not
"workmanlike" --
it's "piece of ****" (unless it's a mile long, but there aren't very
many
mile-long runs of brake tubing in the average car).

In Oregon you do the work and you drive the car, and things only
become an
issue if your brakes fail and you whomp someone. In states that do
inspections you have to please the inspector -- but you probably get
to at
least partially hide behind him, too, if he approved the work and

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

NH has salted roads and yearly inspections. When I told the inspecting
mechanic that the line had failed he showed me a rack of flared repair
sections to fix it, but said do NOT use compression fittings.

I cut out the rust-through and a suspicious spot caused by the
adjacent clip and put in a 20" premade section today, with enough of a
service loop to cut off and redo the flares if they leak. The spliced
line still fits neatly in the clips. I'll be rained/snowed out of
working on it this weekend but at least the line is sealed again.

Be sure to secure that service loop so vibration doesn't come into
play. That gooey cork/tar looking stuff they put around A/C low
pressure lines works well. It's sticky and stays put in heat.
http://tinyurl.com/nw88re6

--
Stoop and you'll be stepped on;
stand tall and you'll be shot at.