Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Flare brake lines?

On Wed, 11 Mar 2015 12:40:30 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

A 3/16" (0.191") brake line on my Honda rusted through from the

Rust? Must be the salt. Living in CA, I never saw rusted lines.

outside and the dealer wants $1200 to take the front and rear apart
enough to thread a one-piece new one in.

Um, ouch. Yeah, pass.

What should I watch for when I splice in a repair section with
double-lap flare fittings? Advice on the Net is contradictory and not
too helpful.

Working with old brake lines is a brass coated bitch. Good luck
getting a solid double flare with the now brittle tubing. I much
prefer to work with all new tubing. Perhaps look into the possibility
of annealing it prior to working with it? I haven't heard of it, but
it has been a long while since I was wrenching. shrug

Tips:

Work super clean. Fully steam clean the area prior to working on it.
Use flare wrenches only. Dem tings is TIGHT and round off at the
slightest provocation.

If you decide to reroute the tube, watch for things like abrading
positions, heat from the muffler, rocks from the tires, etc. Shielding
and padding are both good workarounds, but some lifts catch different
points than you might think, so be aware.

Make sure to use the exact double-flare kit for that line size. I've
seen guys try to use SAE tools on Metric lines and fail every time.
One guy crimped a line so the flow must have been half what is was.
(someone left a note for the service manager) Brakes are a life saver,
so I don't fark around.

Before/After photos, please!

Enjoy! This just in via email:

Facts You May NOT Know:

Researchers for the Massachusetts Turnpike Authority found over 200
dead crows near greater Boston recently, and there was concern that
they may have died from Avian Flu. A Bird Pathologist examined the
remains of all the crows, and, to everyone's relief, confirmed the
problem was definitely NOT Avian Flu. The cause of death appeared to
be vehicular impacts.

However, during the detailed analysis it was noted that varying colors
of paints appeared on the bird's beaks and claws. By analyzing these
paint residues it was determined that 98% of the crows had been killed
by impact with trucks, while only 2% were killed by an impact with a
car.

MTA then hired an Ornithological Behaviorist to determine if there was
a cause for the disproportionate percentages of truck kills versus
car kills. He very quickly concluded the cause: When crows eat road
kill, they always have a look-out crow in a nearby tree to warn of
impending danger.

They discovered that while all the lookout crows could shout "Cah",
not a single one could shout "Truck."

Makes you wonder why you gave me your email address, huh?

--
Stoop and you'll be stepped on;
stand tall and you'll be shot at.