Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Flare brake lines?

"Tim Wescott" wrote in message
On Wed, 11 Mar 2015 17:19:07 -0400, clare wrote:

On Hondas and Toyotas it is not uncommon to see a perfectly solid
line rot out under a retaining clip (holds line to body) and the
rest of
the line is perfect.. In this case, installing a short section can
be
effective and perfectly acceptable. Just make sure the line IS
solid,
and make sure you do a good jog ov double flaring the line, and
supporting the repaired section when you are done. Generally a good
idea
to replace the entire run that is clipped to the floor - but you
can
sometimes avoid having to do the twisties on the firewall and
around the
rear suspension - or at least the twisties up on the firewall/inner
fender behind the engine.

I suppose that if there's some clearly obvious section that is
rotted out
for some clearly obvious reason, that would make sense. I'd inspect
those
remaining bits of line damned carefully, though.

--
Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

The lines run from front to rear through a slotted plastic shield
under the body. I sprayed LPS-3 into it and the visible sections still
have their factory green finish. There's a little corrosion where the
retaining clips blocked the spray but the only serious rust is at the
rear behind a solid part of the shield.

-jsw