Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Flare brake lines?

On Wed, 11 Mar 2015 12:40:30 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

A 3/16" (0.191") brake line on my Honda rusted through from the
outside and the dealer wants $1200 to take the front and rear apart
enough to thread a one-piece new one in.

What should I watch for when I splice in a repair section with
double-lap flare fittings? Advice on the Net is contradictory and not
too helpful.

TIA
-JSW

Buy several shorter pre-made lengths and double flare unions to join
them. Work from both ends to the middle, and then you only need to cut
and reflare, at most, one end of one piece.

If it only rusted under one clip, you may get lucky and be able to cut
the line in a solid location, install a flare nut and flare the end of
the existing tube , then connect a replacement line from there to the
end.