Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tim Wescott[_6_] Tim Wescott[_6_] is offline

Default Flare brake lines?

On Wed, 11 Mar 2015 12:40:30 -0400, Jim Wilkins wrote:

A 3/16" (0.191") brake line on my Honda rusted through from the outside
and the dealer wants $1200 to take the front and rear apart enough to
thread a one-piece new one in.

What should I watch for when I splice in a repair section with
double-lap flare fittings? Advice on the Net is contradictory and not
too helpful.

TIA -JSW

I wouldn't splice into the existing brake line, on the general principle
that if it broke once, it'll break again. If you can replace the whole
thing in sections, with all new pieces, yourself, without major
disassembly, then that's to be contemplated.

brakes = safety item
safety item = don't mess around

--

Tim Wescott