Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default power supply

The real isolation method is the flywheel method. Electrical to
mechanical that doesn't change with fluctuations.

AC mains drive massive multi-ton rock that spins. On that shaft is a
AC (generator) alternator. It generates the AC in single or three
phase. If the external AC shuts down, the rock keeps turning. It
turns for a long time without input power. So brown outs and twinkles
are never seen on the real load because the rock absorbs small and large
changes.

Cray Research used them for their buildings. Massive spinning disks of
rock.

Martin - been there, seen it.

rangerssuck fired this volley in news:e8c42951-
:

Motor-generator. End of discussion.

How does that protect infrastructure -- or the motor?

It does narrow your losses to only the motor, but it would take one HOG of
an M/G set to run my shop, and cost me yet another 30-40% in power.

LLoyd