Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default power supply

On Sun, 08 Mar 2015 00:44:16 -0800, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Sat, 7 Mar 2015 20:20:07 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
. ..

External hard drives!

You bring up a good point for the future. This box has 6 USB. They
are
full - mouse, keyboard, camera, memory stick, two hard drives.

Any big deal to add more USBs?

Also can you beat the 2Tb limit on USB hard drives. I've had no luck
here.

FWIW, this is the box you helped pick out with a MB replacement.
I'll
give you the old MB if you can use it.

Karl

I'm seeing a 5 TB Seagate Expansion as size = 4.54 TB and I can open
the folders and play a video with 32 bit XP SP3 on a Pentium M laptop
made in 2005.
https://social.technet.microsoft.com...orum=itproxpsp

Low-power devices like a mouse, keyboard and memory stick can be
combined on an unpowered hub. AC-powered external drives can use a hub
too, but when I copy between drives I put them on different Mobo
ports.

"Portable" USB drives take operating power from the USB port and need
to be plugged in directly or into a powered hub.

The 2007-vintage Dell D820 laptop beside me can host 10 USB ports; 2x
USB3 on an ExpressCard, 4x USB2 on the Mobo and 4 more on a CardBus
expander. With 1 TB drives in the boot drive and CD bays it can have
over 20 TB plugged in directly.

There are PCI adapter cards for USB3, like this, if you don't have
PCI-E slots left:
http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-S...pci+usb+3+card

They won'r run at full USB3 speed because the PCI bus is too slow, but
neither will external hard drives. I've seen a little over 100 MB/S
from the USB3 ExpressCard which also won't meet the full spec.

-jsw

I think at this point...Karl is needing a RAID array. They come in
all different configurations..most common is 4 drives..but Ive seen
them holding up to 16

http://www.startech.com/HDD/Enclosur...re~SAT3540U3ER

http://www.adaptec.com/en-us/_common..._compar_wp.htm

One can pick these up at used computer places for a couple hundred

http://www.pc-pitstop.com/iscsi_san/ix16.asp

Gunner

PJ O'Rourke

Most of the good used ones will ber SCSI though.
Nothing wrong with SCSI - fast and strong, not like in the early days
when it was just a short-form for "incompatible"