Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default I love it when problems have neat solutions

On Sat, 14 Feb 2015 08:26:39 -0600, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

"Jim Wilkins" fired this volley in news:mbnkr5$oao
:

http://www.cdc.gov/nczved/divisions/...ases/botulism/
" In Alaska, foodborne botulism is caused by fermented fish and other
aquatic game foods."

Clostridium Botulinum is an anaerobe. Open-pot "aired" fermentation
(kept frequently turned) will not ordinarily develop botulism, even in
the absence of salt or low pH. Nuoc mam, and soy sauce are examples of
aerobically-fermented goods, and both high in salt. Kimchi is fermented
covered, but is fairly low pH (acid), and the acid favors less virulent
bacteria.

Which are the ones whose smell makes one want to vomit? I live in a
town with a high percentage of Koreans, and the rest of us have
learned not to get into an elevator with them after lunch that
included (for them) kimchi..

Fortunately, we have few elevators. g

--
Ed Huntress

In general, aerobic fermentation, high salt, and acid will prevent
botulism.

Lloyd