Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default I love it when problems have neat solutions

On 02/14/2015 12:58 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Fri, 13 Feb 2015 10:06:16 -0600, Ignoramus4453

On 2015-02-13, Larry wrote:
And I'm sure that Bob knows that a city inspector could nail him
through OSHA for his mods, if they were seen.

Huh??????

City inspector? Nail a homeowner through OSHA?

Right. He could anonymously tattle on him to the feds.

Wrong.

OSHA has no jurisdiction at the homeowner level and courts have ruled
that even applies to hired persons for a one-time job of casual domestic
labor. OSHA's definition of "Employment" expressly excludes "household
domestic service." Duties personal to the homeowner, as opposed to
commercial or business activities of the homeowner are exempt from
requiring the homeowner to follow OSHA reg's even for that casual labor
even when the actual work might require certain OSHA-compliant practices
if done for commercial purposes.

There have been a large number of these cases adjudicated and it is now
well-established precedent.