Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default I love it when problems have neat solutions

. 4.170...
"Jim Wilkins" fired this volley in
:

http://moreintelligentlife.com/conte...an/a-thin-line
-between-fermentation-and-rot

Jim, that was a good article. I keep five different fermented
sauces and
pastes in the pantry. In our home, I'm the only one who'll eat any
of
them but soy sauce.

When I was in 'Nam, our unit had to live off the local economy for
about
four months of the year, and I quickly grew a liking for nuoc mam,
and
for the sun-dried, then crushed-and-grilled squid they liked as
snacks.

LLoyd

The down side:
http://www.cdc.gov/nczved/divisions/...ases/botulism/
" In Alaska, foodborne botulism is caused by fermented fish and other
aquatic game foods."

"Because the botulinum toxin is destroyed by high temperatures,
persons who eat home-canned foods should consider boiling the food for
10 minutes before eating it to ensure safety."

I've studied traditional food preservation methods but want to
understand the precautions and dangers better before trying them. I
keep my refrigerator at around 32F (foods freeze lower than pure
water) and check the temperature of microwaved leftovers with an IR
thermometer.

I know that people have been using these methods for thousands of
years. They also frequently died young without knowing why. Those who
avoided the hazards might live as long as today. The Old Testament
allots 70 - 80 years.

"The days of our years are threescore years and ten; and if by reason
of strength they be fourscore years, yet is their strength labour and
sorrow"
Psalm 90:10

The Pharaoh Rameses II lived to 90 or 91.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:RAMmummy.jpg

-jsw