Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default I love it when problems have neat solutions

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Fri, 13 Feb 2015 09:04:48 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
. ..
On Thu, 12 Feb 2015 23:30:46 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in
message
m...
On Thu, 12 Feb 2015 20:43:17 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in
message
news:887qdadol1rfac2filluu1bntqq2sbkgdb@4ax. com...
On Thu, 12 Feb 2015 08:43:21 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

They don't appear to have known about this carving of a
construction
crane.
http://mv.vatican.va/3_EN/pages/x-Sc...Sala01_06.html
They showed a modern pulley block without giving that image as
proof
that the Romans used them.

Wow, cranes, pile-drivers, and pulleys? They were further
evolved
than I'd thought. Very cool.

In many ways we didn't advance past them until 1700 - 1800.

Their concrete formula still works to this day.

A Roman Army Knife:
http://www.fitzmuseum.cam.ac.uk/opac...priref=70534#6

Har! And all this time we've called 'em "Swiss Army Knives".

Let's see, ya gotcher spork, a knife blade, a pipe tamper/coke
spoon,
a toothpick, an O-ring pick, and a coax stripper in the middle?
Hmm,
maybe not. What is that holey artist's brush thingie?

It's a Garum spreader.
http://www.coquinaria.nl/english/recipes/garum.htm
"The very best garum, according to the Geoponica, is called
haimatum.
It was made with solely the innards of the tuna, including blood and
gills. These are put in a pot with salt, and after two months the
liquid is garum."

Dead fish, hot climate, sounds yummy.

Indeed! How does that old song go?
"Fish heads, fish heads, roly poly fish heads"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKDtUzRIG6I
Gawd, now I'll be humming that tune all week...

Better you than me. I have "Take My Breath Away" from "Top Gun"
playing in the background.
-jsw