Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default I love it when problems have neat solutions

I have an old Bolens snowblower. I got it for $50 and it works very
well. Except, the "engage auger" lever does not stay down. So, when
blowing snow, I have to keep a hand on each of the drive and auger
levers. Which means that to change the chute direction, I have to
release the drive lever, change the chute, and re-engage the drive. I
think that originally the auger lever stayed down, but I don't see how.

So, I set about to fix it. The lever didn't go past center to be self
locking so I intended to drill a new hole ("X" marks the spot):
http://home.comcast.net/~bobengelhardt/before.jpg

But it occurred to me that if I bent the arm 180 degrees, the hole would
be about right:
http://home.comcast.net/~bobengelhardt/bent.jpg

And it was:
http://home.comcast.net/~bobengelhardt/after.jpg

It works perfectly! I keep the drive engaged with one hand and can
adjust the chute with the other without stopping. Well, it isn't
_quite_ perfect: there is less throw on the engaging rod and the tension
adjustment is a bit of a compromise. But well worth it.

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob Engelhardt fired this volley in
:

Well, it isn't
_quite_ perfect: there is less throw on the engaging rod and the tension
adjustment is a bit of a compromise. But well worth it.

Nothin' like "jury rigging" to make a guy happy he did it! G

It's the rational solution to about 90% of life's problems.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wednesday, February 11, 2015 at 4:28:51 PM UTC-6, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
[...]

And if it goes pear shaped should we call you stub or stump ?
It seems to me it may be a safety lockout to avoid an accident.
Ant way, be careful.
wws
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I have the same Bolens snowblower with the same behavior. I did not
even realize that I had a problem.

Furthermore, I think that you just made your snow blower unsafe to
use.

It is supposed to stop blowing, or moving, if you let go of the
handle. That's a behavior that makes it very easy to stop if something
happens. Dead man safe, so to speak.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus13634 fired this volley in
:

It is supposed to stop blowing, or moving, if you let go of the
handle. That's a behavior that makes it very easy to stop if something
happens. Dead man safe, so to speak.

Aw, c'mon, Ig!
Two-handed anti-tiedown controls on presses? Thhhpppptt!
Deadman switches on mowers and snow-blowers? Nahhhhh!
Chip-guard interlocks on lathes? Ahh... just DISABLE all of them!

All that crap just gets in the way of having FUN!

Besides... it's fun learning to be left-handed when you've been a
'righty' all your life.

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wednesday, February 11, 2015 at 6:09:41 PM UTC-5, Ignoramus13634 wrote in rec.crafts.metalworking:
I have the same Bolens snowblower with the same behavior. I did not
even realize that I had a problem.

Furthermore, I think that you just made your snow blower unsafe to
use.

It is supposed to stop blowing, or moving, if you let go of the
handle. That's a behavior that makes it very easy to stop if something
happens. Dead man safe, so to speak.

Good point. Like removing the guard on a lawn-mower or a saw.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I will concede that it's less safe. "Unsafe" is too absolute a term.
If it's no longer idiot proof, I can live (safely) with that. As I do
with the tied-down dead man on the mower, the removed blade guard on the
table saw, the removed trigger guards on the portable power tools, etc.
Being aware is a much better substitute.

The benefit to me is much greater than to most owners. My driveway is
complicated and I doubt that I go 10' without adjusting the chute. Much
of the time I am continually adjusting it.

As always, YMMV.

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 11 Feb 2015 17:28:09 -0500, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

[...]

The more signifcant problem is you have snow.

Pete Keillor
(not missing the snow blower I left in Michigan)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob Engelhardt wrote in
:

I will concede that it's less safe. "Unsafe" is too absolute a term.
If it's no longer idiot proof, I can live (safely) with that. As I do
with the tied-down dead man on the mower, the removed blade guard on
the table saw, the removed trigger guards on the portable power tools,
etc.
Being aware is a much better substitute.

The benefit to me is much greater than to most owners. My driveway is
complicated and I doubt that I go 10' without adjusting the chute.
Much of the time I am continually adjusting it.

As always, YMMV.

Bob

So add a kill-cord switch just like an outboard and clip the kill-cord
to your belt. You will still be able to adjust the chute, but if it
gets away from you it shuts down.

[at]=@, [dash]=- & [dot]=. *Warning* HTML & 32K emails -- NUL
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 11 Feb 2015 17:09:39 -0600, Ignoramus13634
wrote:

I have the same Bolens snowblower with the same behavior. I did not
even realize that I had a problem.

Furthermore, I think that you just made your snow blower unsafe to
use.

It is supposed to stop blowing, or moving, if you let go of the
handle. That's a behavior that makes it very easy to stop if something
happens. Dead man safe, so to speak.

I'd be rigging a cable and detent to hold the auger drive on as long
as the drive is held, and when you release the traction drive handle,
the pin pulls out of the auger drive, releasing it.
Makes it conform to current safety requirements while also making it
convenient to operate.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 12 Feb 2015 01:30:36 +0000 (UTC), Ian Malcolm
wrote:

Bob Engelhardt wrote in
:

I will concede that it's less safe. "Unsafe" is too absolute a term.
If it's no longer idiot proof, I can live (safely) with that. As I do
with the tied-down dead man on the mower, the removed blade guard on
the table saw, the removed trigger guards on the portable power tools,
etc.
Being aware is a much better substitute.

The benefit to me is much greater than to most owners. My driveway is
complicated and I doubt that I go 10' without adjusting the chute.
Much of the time I am continually adjusting it.

As always, YMMV.

Bob

So add a kill-cord switch just like an outboard and clip the kill-cord
to your belt. You will still be able to adjust the chute, but if it
gets away from you it shuts down.

As long as the traction drive is not jury rigged it will never get
away from you. You just need to be sure you can (and do) disengage the
auger drive before geting yourself or anything critical in the path of
the blower.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2/11/2015 8:30 PM, Ian Malcolm wrote:

So add a kill-cord switch just like an outboard and clip the kill-cord
to your belt. You will still be able to adjust the chute, but if it
gets away from you it shuts down.

The wheel drive requires hands-on, it's just the auger that can be
latched. But you could idiot proof the auger by using a kill cord to
shut down the engine if one moves from behind the blower. That way you
couldn't go and stick your fingers in the chute and have the moving
impeller chop them off. Fortunately I don't let idiots run my snow
blower and such precautions are unnecessary.

Bob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

You know, this thread has got me thinking. Snow blowers are dangerous!
The exposed auger, the spinning impeller. It is amazing that the
government hasn't issued safety regulations to the point that snow
blowers are useless! Just think of all the really useful chemicals that
the government keeps away from us, to protect us from our stupidity.
Why hasn't that happened with snow blowers?

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob Engelhardt on Wed, 11 Feb 2015
17:28:09 -0500 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

It works perfectly! I keep the drive engaged with one hand and can
adjust the chute with the other without stopping. Well, it isn't
_quite_ perfect: there is less throw on the engaging rod and the tension
adjustment is a bit of a compromise. But well worth it.

"Tain't perfect, but it will work until we can afford Real
Repairs."

Reminds me of the story of the college edumacated Forestry Major,
who could not figure out how to get a set of pilings into a river, in
order to replace the bridge washed out in the spring break up, so that
logs could get to the mill (and paychecks could come back.) Gave up
and the woods rat, cobbled together a crib from logs (they was in the
middle of the Great North Woods) weighted it with rocks, and skidded
it off the remains of the bridge approach with a bulldozer. Over it
went, down is sunk and - viola!, two piers for a bridge. Okay, so a
bit off centered, and somewhat askew - but hey, it only had to last
until winter.
--
pyotr filipivich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2015-02-11, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
Ignoramus13634 fired this volley in
:

It is supposed to stop blowing, or moving, if you let go of the
handle. That's a behavior that makes it very easy to stop if something
happens. Dead man safe, so to speak.

Aw, c'mon, Ig!
Two-handed anti-tiedown controls on presses? Thhhpppptt!
Deadman switches on mowers and snow-blowers? Nahhhhh!
Chip-guard interlocks on lathes? Ahh... just DISABLE all of them!

All that crap just gets in the way of having FUN!

Besides... it's fun learning to be left-handed when you've been a
'righty' all your life.

You use the remaining hand to pull out frozen newspapers from the
snowblower with the blades running

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2/11/2015 5:28 PM, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
It works perfectly! I keep the drive engaged with one hand and can
adjust the chute with the other without stopping. Well, it isn't
_quite_ perfect: there is less throw on the engaging rod and the tension
adjustment is a bit of a compromise. But well worth it.

Bob

Oh, you'll PAY for that...eventually.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message
You know, this thread has got me thinking. Snow blowers are
dangerous! The exposed auger, the spinning impeller. It is amazing
that the government hasn't issued safety regulations to the point
that snow blowers are useless! Just think of all the really useful
chemicals that the government keeps away from us, to protect us from
our stupidity. Why hasn't that happened with snow blowers?

Bob

Repressives learned the public would throw them out from the 1994
Republican Revolution.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"pyotr filipivich" wrote in message
[...]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caesar's_Rhine_bridges

The PBS Colosseum program shows a modern reconstruction of a Roman
elevator and the problems modern historians who are not the most
clever and experienced engineers have trying to duplicate what the
ancients accomplished.

They don't appear to have known about this carving of a construction
crane.
http://mv.vatican.va/3_EN/pages/x-Sc...Sala01_06.html
They showed a modern pulley block without giving that image as proof
that the Romans used them.

-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message
You know, this thread has got me thinking. Snow blowers are
dangerous! The exposed auger, the spinning impeller. It is amazing
that the government hasn't issued safety regulations to the point
that snow blowers are useless! Just think of all the really useful
chemicals that the government keeps away from us, to protect us from
our stupidity. Why hasn't that happened with snow blowers?

They are dangerous and there is no good reason to make them more
dangerous.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 12 Feb 2015 08:43:21 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"pyotr filipivich" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Wow, cranes, pile-drivers, and pulleys? They were further evolved
than I'd thought. Very cool.

--
Silence is more musical than any song.
-- Christina Rossetti
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jim Wilkins" on Thu, 12 Feb 2015 08:43:21
[...]

That too. I've heard tales to the effect of a student on a tour,
being shown some medieval armor, and the curator pointing at some
marks and saying "we have no idea what those are" and the student
saying "Looks like the marks when I pound out knee cups .."

They don't appear to have known about this carving of a construction
crane.
http://mv.vatican.va/3_EN/pages/x-Sc...Sala01_06.html
They showed a modern pulley block without giving that image as proof
that the Romans used them.

One interesting observation was reported in a National Geographic
article on the Coliseum - that because they hadn't been able to afford
digital cameras, they'd been "forced" to draw the various walls,
stones, pits, etc, etc... and as they did. they "looked" at the walls
in ways you don't when looking at pictures. And "Wait, that's
obviously here for this reason" kind of insights occurred because of
that focus.
--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

They don't appear to have known about this carving of a construction
crane.
http://mv.vatican.va/3_EN/pages/x-Sc...Sala01_06.html
They showed a modern pulley block without giving that image as proof
that the Romans used them.

Wow, cranes, pile-drivers, and pulleys? They were further evolved
than I'd thought. Very cool.

In many ways we didn't advance past them until 1700 - 1800.
-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 12 Feb 2015 10:23:36 -0600, Ignoramus25764
wrote:

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message
You know, this thread has got me thinking. Snow blowers are
dangerous! The exposed auger, the spinning impeller. It is amazing
that the government hasn't issued safety regulations to the point
that snow blowers are useless! Just think of all the really useful
chemicals that the government keeps away from us, to protect us from
our stupidity. Why hasn't that happened with snow blowers?

They are dangerous and there is no good reason to make them more
dangerous.

Actually no more expensive than lawn mowers.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

They don't appear to have known about this carving of a construction
crane.
http://mv.vatican.va/3_EN/pages/x-Sc...Sala01_06.html
They showed a modern pulley block without giving that image as proof
that the Romans used them.

Wow, cranes, pile-drivers, and pulleys? They were further evolved
than I'd thought. Very cool.

In many ways we didn't advance past them until 1700 - 1800.

Their concrete formula still works to this day.

--
Silence is more musical than any song.
-- Christina Rossetti

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

. ..
wrote:

They don't appear to have known about this carving of a
construction
crane.
http://mv.vatican.va/3_EN/pages/x-Sc...Sala01_06.html
They showed a modern pulley block without giving that image as
proof
that the Romans used them.

Wow, cranes, pile-drivers, and pulleys? They were further evolved
than I'd thought. Very cool.

In many ways we didn't advance past them until 1700 - 1800.

Their concrete formula still works to this day.

A Roman Army Knife:
http://www.fitzmuseum.cam.ac.uk/opac...priref=70534#6

-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message
You know, this thread has got me thinking. Snow blowers are
dangerous! The exposed auger, the spinning impeller. It is amazing
that the government hasn't issued safety regulations to the point
that snow blowers are useless! Just think of all the really useful
chemicals that the government keeps away from us, to protect us from
our stupidity. Why hasn't that happened with snow blowers?

They are dangerous and there is no good reason to make them more
dangerous.

Methinks the danger element is being overplayed here (about as much as
with the "scary" garage door springs.

Tool.use.is.dangerous. Period. Use 'em or not. It's safer not to use
tools, so the choice is yours. Somehow, I doubt any of us will choose
not to continue their use.

And I'm sure that Bob knows that a city inspector could nail him
through OSHA for his mods, if they were seen.

I'd probably go the route clare suggested, with both safeties tied
into one control. At the same time, I'm ****ed at the ergonomics of
safety buttons needing to be pushed before you can use your chain saw
or power washer. They DO make it more difficult, but they can also
make the tools more dangerous to use.

Actually no more expensive than lawn mowers.

Which isn't saying much. Every caution sticker makes the price go up.
Look at ladders.

I still think they should remove all stickers and warnings so the
population would be cleansed of the Darwin Awardees more quickly. This
just may head off the rapid spiral toward Idiocracy that we're
_hurtling_ into as we speak.

--
Silence is more musical than any song.
-- Christina Rossetti
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

They don't appear to have known about this carving of a
construction
crane.
http://mv.vatican.va/3_EN/pages/x-Sc...Sala01_06.html
They showed a modern pulley block without giving that image as
proof
that the Romans used them.

Wow, cranes, pile-drivers, and pulleys? They were further evolved
than I'd thought. Very cool.

In many ways we didn't advance past them until 1700 - 1800.

Their concrete formula still works to this day.

A Roman Army Knife:
http://www.fitzmuseum.cam.ac.uk/opac...priref=70534#6

Har! And all this time we've called 'em "Swiss Army Knives".

Let's see, ya gotcher spork, a knife blade, a pipe tamper/coke spoon,
a toothpick, an O-ring pick, and a coax stripper in the middle? Hmm,
maybe not. What is that holey artist's brush thingie?

--
Silence is more musical than any song.
-- Christina Rossetti
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
. ..
On Thu, 12 Feb 2015 20:43:17 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in
message
m...
wrote:

[...]

It's a Garum spreader.
http://www.coquinaria.nl/english/recipes/garum.htm
"The very best garum, according to the Geoponica, is called haimatum.
It was made with solely the innards of the tuna, including blood and
gills. These are put in a pot with salt, and after two months the
liquid is garum."

Dead fish, hot climate, sounds yummy.

-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jim Wilkins" fired this volley in news:mbl083$j13
:

It's a Garum spreader.
http://www.coquinaria.nl/english/recipes/garum.htm
"The very best garum, according to the Geoponica, is called haimatum.
It was made with solely the innards of the tuna, including blood and
gills. These are put in a pot with salt, and after two months the
liquid is garum."

Dead fish, hot climate, sounds yummy.

-jsw

Every society close to an ocean has had its version of "fish sauce";
almost always a salty concoction, since salt was one of the few effective
preservatives.

There was a time when food was difficult-enough to obtain (or afford)
that no scrap went wasted. (using "everything but the squeal" was an old
pork butcher's phrase)

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Thu, 12 Feb 2015 20:43:17 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in
message
om...
wrote:

[...]

Indeed! How does that old song go?
"Fish heads, fish heads, roly poly fish heads"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKDtUzRIG6I
Gawd, now I'll be humming that tune all week...

--
Silence is more musical than any song.
-- Christina Rossetti
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
. ..
On Thu, 12 Feb 2015 23:30:46 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in
message
m...
On Thu, 12 Feb 2015 20:43:17 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in
message
news:887qdadol1rfac2filluu1bntqq2sbkgdb@4ax. com...
wrote:

[...]

Better you than me. I have "Take My Breath Away" from "Top Gun"
playing in the background.
-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2015-02-13, Larry Jaques wrote:
And I'm sure that Bob knows that a city inspector could nail him
through OSHA for his mods, if they were seen.

Huh??????

City inspector? Nail a homeowner through OSHA?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Friday, February 13, 2015 at 6:10:20 AM UTC-8, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:
"Jim Wilkins" fired this volley in news:mbl083$j13
:

It's a Garum spreader.
http://www.coquinaria.nl/english/recipes/garum.htm
"The very best garum, according to the Geoponica, is called haimatum.
It was made with solely the innards of the tuna, including blood and
gills. These are put in a pot with salt, and after two months the
liquid is garum."

Every society close to an ocean has had its version of "fish sauce";
almost always a salty concoction, since salt was one of the few effective
preservatives.

There's a lot of glutamate in that concoction; that makes it a good
flavor enhancer. Most of us are familiar with Worcestershire sauce,
made with liquefied anchovies.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Did I write that "no more expensive than lawn mowers"? I meant no
more DANGEROUS than lawn mowers. Brain fart. (or a really whacky spell
checker!!!)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 13 Feb 2015 10:06:16 -0600, Ignoramus4453

On 2015-02-13, Larry Jaques wrote:
And I'm sure that Bob knows that a city inspector could nail him
through OSHA for his mods, if they were seen.

Huh??????

City inspector? Nail a homeowner through OSHA?

Not a chance.
OHSA (note the OP's error) is by definition involved in "occupational
Health and Safety" - and home use is not "occupational"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 13 Feb 2015 14:50:23 -0800 (PST), whit3rd
wrote:

Worcestershire sauce

The ingredients of a traditional bottle of Worcestershire sauce sold
in the UK as "The Original & Genuine Lea & Perrins Worcestershire
sauce" a
malt vinegar (from barley)
spirit vinegar
molasses
sugar
salt
anchovies
tamarind extract
onions
garlic
spice
flavouring

The "spice, and flavouring" is believed to include: [7]
cloves
soy sauce
lemons
pickles
peppers

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Worcestershire sauce

The ingredients of a traditional bottle of Worcestershire sauce sold
in the UK as "The Original & Genuine Lea & Perrins Worcestershire
sauce" a
malt vinegar (from barley)
spirit vinegar
molasses
sugar
salt
anchovies
tamarind extract
onions
garlic
spice
flavouring

The "spice, and flavouring" is believed to include: [7]
cloves
soy sauce
lemons
pickles
peppers

http://moreintelligentlife.com/conte...tation-and-rot

-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2015-02-13, Larry Jaques wrote:
And I'm sure that Bob knows that a city inspector could nail him
through OSHA for his mods, if they were seen.

Huh??????

City inspector? Nail a homeowner through OSHA?

Right. He could anonymously tattle on him to the feds.

--
Silence is more musical than any song.
-- Christina Rossetti
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jim Wilkins" fired this volley in
:

http://moreintelligentlife.com/conte...an/a-thin-line
-between-fermentation-and-rot

Jim, that was a good article. I keep five different fermented sauces and
pastes in the pantry. In our home, I'm the only one who'll eat any of
them but soy sauce.

When I was in 'Nam, our unit had to live off the local economy for about
four months of the year, and I quickly grew a liking for nuoc mam, and
for the sun-dried, then crushed-and-grilled squid they liked as snacks.

LLoyd