Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default I love it when problems have neat solutions

On Thu, 12 Feb 2015 08:43:21 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"pyotr filipivich" wrote in message
.. .
Bob Engelhardt on Wed, 11 Feb 2015
17:28:09 -0500 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

It works perfectly! I keep the drive engaged with one hand and can
adjust the chute with the other without stopping. Well, it isn't
_quite_ perfect: there is less throw on the engaging rod and the
tension
adjustment is a bit of a compromise. But well worth it.

"Tain't perfect, but it will work until we can afford Real
Repairs."

Reminds me of the story of the college edumacated Forestry Major,
who could not figure out how to get a set of pilings into a river,
in
order to replace the bridge washed out in the spring break up, so
that
logs could get to the mill (and paychecks could come back.) Gave up
and the woods rat, cobbled together a crib from logs (they was in
the
middle of the Great North Woods) weighted it with rocks, and skidded
it off the remains of the bridge approach with a bulldozer. Over it
went, down is sunk and - viola!, two piers for a bridge. Okay, so a
bit off centered, and somewhat askew - but hey, it only had to last
until winter.
--
pyotr filipivich

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caesar's_Rhine_bridges

The PBS Colosseum program shows a modern reconstruction of a Roman
elevator and the problems modern historians who are not the most
clever and experienced engineers have trying to duplicate what the
ancients accomplished.

They don't appear to have known about this carving of a construction
crane.
http://mv.vatican.va/3_EN/pages/x-Sc...Sala01_06.html
They showed a modern pulley block without giving that image as proof
that the Romans used them.

Wow, cranes, pile-drivers, and pulleys? They were further evolved
than I'd thought. Very cool.

--
Silence is more musical than any song.
-- Christina Rossetti