Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default I love it when problems have neat solutions

On Thu, 12 Feb 2015 01:30:36 +0000 (UTC), Ian Malcolm
wrote:

Bob Engelhardt wrote in
:

I will concede that it's less safe. "Unsafe" is too absolute a term.
If it's no longer idiot proof, I can live (safely) with that. As I do
with the tied-down dead man on the mower, the removed blade guard on
the table saw, the removed trigger guards on the portable power tools,
etc.
Being aware is a much better substitute.

The benefit to me is much greater than to most owners. My driveway is
complicated and I doubt that I go 10' without adjusting the chute.
Much of the time I am continually adjusting it.

As always, YMMV.

Bob

So add a kill-cord switch just like an outboard and clip the kill-cord
to your belt. You will still be able to adjust the chute, but if it
gets away from you it shuts down.

As long as the traction drive is not jury rigged it will never get
away from you. You just need to be sure you can (and do) disengage the
auger drive before geting yourself or anything critical in the path of
the blower.