Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Hey Iggy - stepper motors ?

On Fri, 30 Jan 2015 06:51:47 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Fri, 30 Jan 2015 06:39:20 -0600, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Richard fired this volley in
:

Add a feedback loop, and you have a servo.

Yup... but so many people are into "buy instead of make", they cannot see
that.

Quite often true, but it can also depend on which they have more of:
money or time. Lack of time can play heavily into that decision. So
can the need (or wish) to learn a machining procedure/method.

I'll buy an HF tool to do a quick one-off job. But if I see that down
the line I'll need it quite often, I'll either make a better one (if
possible) or buy the better brand-name tool for it. That brings value
into the equation, too. Those of us with less money are very familiar
with this aspect.

It doesn't make much sense to turn a hobby into a religion. Those of
us who take the "recreational" part seriously should have an easy
answer: if you find it pleasurable to do so, then make it. If it's a
chore and if the option to buy is reasonable, then buy it.

Like most people here, I've often made things that made no sense to
make, and then took a brief pleasure in having done so, for several
reasons. Then, if reason slipped into my consciousness at some later
point, asking "why in the hell did I do that?," I sigh and swear to
think first, the next time, before sucking up precious hours to
satisfy some atavistic urge that made as much sense as tailoring my
own underwear. d8-)

Or, as we said in the '60s, "If it feels good, do it."

--
Ed Huntress