Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Hey Iggy - stepper motors ?

On Wed, 28 Jan 2015 22:58:41 -0600, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

Got any stepper motors for cheep? I think nema 34's will work , I want to

From $12.99 w/ f/s on eBay http://tinyurl.com/of8584m
How much torque do you need?

power the X axis and maybe the Y on my benchtop mill . I have (or have
components to build) controllers and power supplies , can fabricate mounts
and the rest in house . I actually had an 18v HF drill motor all but
mounted , using a PWM controller and a 13.5 volt supply . At the speeds I
need it didn't have enough torque - though I may revisit that setup now that
I can cut gears .

Cogs are cheap as dirt online.

And speaking of cutting gears , how about cutting pulleys for cogged belts
, anybody got experience doing that that they'd like to share ?

David's link looks like a promising start.

--
If more sane people were armed,
crazy people would get off fewer shots.