Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Hey Iggy - stepper motors ?

Tim Wescott wrote:
On Wed, 28 Jan 2015 22:58:41 -0600, Terry Coombs wrote:

Got any stepper motors for cheep? I think nema 34's will work , I
want to power the X axis and maybe the Y on my benchtop mill . I
have (or have components to build) controllers and power supplies ,
can fabricate mounts and the rest in house . I actually had an 18v
HF drill motor all but mounted , using a PWM controller and a 13.5
volt supply . At the speeds I need it didn't have enough torque -
though I may revisit that setup now that I can cut gears .
And speaking of cutting gears , how about cutting pulleys for
cogged belts
, anybody got experience doing that that they'd like to share ?

Having worked with stepper motors in space- and power-constrained
devices, I am highly prejudiced against them. That doesn't mean they
won't work -- it just means that I've had bad experiences. I much
prefer a servo motor driven by a feedback loop (at least, when I get
to design the controller).

Check with Herbach & Rademan (http://www.herbach.com) for motors.
They may not have what you want, but they have lots of stuff in that
sort of size.

For pulleys and belts and whatnot, check Stock Drive products. They
aren't a surplus place, but they have fair to middlin' prices on fair
to middlin' stuff, and they'll have the same thing next year. I've
had good success tossing together mechanisms using their parts.

Thanks , I'll check that supplier for motors . As far as gears and pulleys
, I'm equipped to make those , from casting the blank in aluminum or brass
to final machining . I have lots more time than money ... and a big pile of
casting stock .

--
Snag