Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Hey Iggy - stepper motors ?

Baron wrote:
Terry Coombs prodded the keyboard

Got any stepper motors for cheep? I think nema 34's will work , I
want to
power the X axis and maybe the Y on my benchtop mill . I have (or
have components to build) controllers and power supplies , can
fabricate mounts
and the rest in house . I actually had an 18v HF drill motor all
but mounted , using a PWM controller and a 13.5 volt supply . At the
speeds I need it didn't have enough torque - though I may revisit
that setup now that I can cut gears .
And speaking of cutting gears , how about cutting pulleys for
cogged belts
, anybody got experience doing that that they'd like to share ?
--
Snag
As if I didn't have enough in the works ... but a powered X

Have you considered car wiper motors ?

See my build log :-
http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/showthread.php?t=23130
You will need to register to see the pictures.

I have a couple sitting on the shelf , but they both have stripped worm
gears that I can't repair . With the PWM controller I have here now there
may be other options for those too . Thanks for the reminder !

--
Snag